From: Denny Strauser on
I got an email today from the production manager of the theatre that I
doing a summer residency at concerning 700MHz wireless frequencies that
should have been vacated 2 days ago in the USA. The 8 Sure wireless
systems the theatre owns operates in the 692-716MHz & 782-806MHz bands,
4 in each range.

My questions are:

1) What is the exact frequency range that is now illegal?

2) How close together can my transmitter frequency assignments be
without interfering with each other?

3) What other things should I be concerned with?

Thanks,
Denny
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I got an email today from the production manager of the theatre that I
>doing a summer residency at concerning 700MHz wireless frequencies that
>should have been vacated 2 days ago in the USA. The 8 Sure wireless systems
>the theatre owns operates in the 692-716MHz & 782-806MHz bands, 4 in each
>range.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) What is the exact frequency range that is now illegal?

not sure

> 2) How close together can my transmitter frequency assignments be without
> interfering with each other?
i keep mine .200 apart minimum has worked out well

> 3) What other things should I be concerned with?

getting paid and not letting the production fall down on crappy wireless, I
lost a 5000$ a year contract but using the hotel supplied wireless one day
George

From: Denny Strauser on
Denny Strauser wrote:
> I got an email today from the production manager of the theatre that I
> doing a summer residency at concerning 700MHz wireless frequencies that
> should have been vacated 2 days ago in the USA. The 8 Sure wireless
> systems the theatre owns operates in the 692-716MHz & 782-806MHz bands,
> 4 in each range.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) What is the exact frequency range that is now illegal?
>
> 2) How close together can my transmitter frequency assignments be
> without interfering with each other?
>
> 3) What other things should I be concerned with?

I found the answer to question #1 on the FCC FAQ page:
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/FAQs.html

I quote:
"Some wireless microphones (and similar devices) are marked with the
frequency the device uses. If information on the device indicates that
it operates on frequencies between 698 and 806 MHz, then the device uses
700 MHz spectrum and may not be used after June 12, 2010."

- Denny
From: Arny Krueger on
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I got an email today from the production manager of the
> theatre that I doing a summer residency at concerning
> 700MHz wireless frequencies that should have been vacated
> 2 days ago in the USA. The 8 Shure wireless systems the
> theatre owns operates in the 692-716MHz & 782-806MHz
> bands, 4 in each range.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) What is the exact frequency range that is now illegal?

Quick answer: >= 698 MHz

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/

> 2) How close together can my transmitter frequency
> assignments be without interfering with each other?

Depends on your wireless mics.

> 3) What other things should I be concerned with?

Other broadcasters and services in the same frequency band.

You can get a quick analysis of this for your zip code at:

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/tools/wireless-frequency-finder/index.htm

From: Denny Strauser on
Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I got an email today from the production manager of the
>> theatre that I doing a summer residency at concerning
>> 700MHz wireless frequencies that should have been vacated
>> 2 days ago in the USA. The 8 Shure wireless systems the
>> theatre owns operates in the 692-716MHz & 782-806MHz
>> bands, 4 in each range.
>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1) What is the exact frequency range that is now illegal?
>
> Quick answer: >= 698 MHz
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/
>
>> 2) How close together can my transmitter frequency
>> assignments be without interfering with each other?
>
> Depends on your wireless mics.
>
>> 3) What other things should I be concerned with?
>
> Other broadcasters and services in the same frequency band.
>
> You can get a quick analysis of this for your zip code at:
>
> http://www.shure.com/americas/support/tools/wireless-frequency-finder/index.htm

I spent most of today researching this. The theatre can actually be
fined for continued use of their wireless systems. They can have their
wireless systems confiscated by the FCC. Although 4 of the wireless
systems can operate in the legal 692-697 MHz range, they are still
illegal, because they can transmit/receive in the 700 MHz range.

I'm familiar with Shure Frequency Finder. I have made my recommendation
to purchase 8 channels of Shure UR4D/UR1 wireless systems in the H4 & J5
frequency bands because Shure Frequency Finder recommends those, as well
as the L3 band. Using the H4 & J5, there are 70 usable channels in the
Albany area. The L3 would add another 34 channels, but with 8
wirelesses, I don't see a need for 100+ choices.

A quick search online shows that the purchase of the 8 channels of Shure
UR4D/UR1 wireless systems will cost over $17,000. Shure has a
rebate/trade-in for new purchases to replace 700 MHz Shure systems. That
would amount to $4,000. It will still be a major purchase for a
non-profit company struggling from budget cutbacks.

- Denny
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: US angry about Chinese markets...