From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:42:10 -0400, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>oh Blew up plenty of them, so many I switched to the pv black widow that i
>>could repair in the feild
>
> I have a few old Black Widow drivers, BW1505-8KADT, wonder what box they
> would
> be good in?

Back at that point in my career a box was simply the means to keep the
speaker from rolling around on the floor, beggers could not be choosers and
I was the begger at that point

>>thos boxes turned into , well, boxes, I tore the baffals off and carried
>>wires in them for a while
>>right now I have 3 diffrent subs
>>Eaw BH800, 1/4 bent horn single 18 loaded with RCF x 8
>>Eaw La400 bent horn single 12 x4 emeninece loaded(eminence built to spec
>>for
>>eaw)
>>and
>>RCF reflex 1018's x4
>
> Thanks, I'll check those out.

Both the bh800 and rcf event 1018's are discontinued
the La400 stands out as a excellent value , LOTS of output, good efficency
reasonably Low, pretty good to at least 40
small and light weight to transport
a good value
George

From: liquidator on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:42:10 -0400, "George's Pro Sound Co."
>> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>oh Blew up plenty of them, so many I switched to the pv black widow that
>>>could repair in the feild
>>
>> I have a few old Black Widow drivers, BW1505-8KADT, wonder what box they
>> would
>> be good in?
>
> Back at that point in my career a box was simply the means to keep the
> speaker from rolling around on the floor, beggers could not be choosers
> and I was the begger at that point
>>
>>>thos boxes turned into , well, boxes, I tore the baffals off and carried
>>>wires in them for a while
>>>right now I have 3 diffrent subs
>>>Eaw BH800, 1/4 bent horn single 18 loaded with RCF x 8
>>>Eaw La400 bent horn single 12 x4 emeninece loaded(eminence built to spec
>>>for
>>>eaw)
>>>and
>>>RCF reflex 1018's x4
>>
>> Thanks, I'll check those out.
>
> Both the bh800 and rcf event 1018's are discontinued
> the La400 stands out as a excellent value , LOTS of output, good efficency
> reasonably Low, pretty good to at least 40
> small and light weight to transport
> a good value
> George

I really like La400's, especially if you stack up a bunch of them.

And they have gotten cheap of late...well, cheap for the quality

From: Denny Strauser on
Eeyore wrote:
> Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
>>
>> I have a few old Black Widow drivers, BW1505-8KADT, wonder what box
>> they would
>> be good in?
>
> Find out the Thiele-Small parameters and get a CAD program that'll
> design around them.
>
> Graham

I hate to admit it, but I like Black Widows, because they're not very
expensive, can take quite a bit of abuse, & are easy & inexpensive to
re-cone. I've used these as backup replacements for pro drivers. Anyone
who knows how to clean the voice-coil gap in the magnet can re-cone the
speaker. Come to think of it, even if you don't know how to clean the
gap you can replace the cone ... but it probably won't last very long.

-Denny
From: Leon on
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:49:46 -0400, Denny Strauser <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Eeyore wrote:
>> Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a few old Black Widow drivers, BW1505-8KADT, wonder what box
>>> they would
>>> be good in?
>>
>> Find out the Thiele-Small parameters and get a CAD program that'll
>> design around them.
>>
>> Graham

obviously, I was just wondering what commercial box would use them, but thanks.

>I hate to admit it, but I like Black Widows, because they're not very
>expensive, can take quite a bit of abuse, & are easy & inexpensive to
>re-cone. I've used these as backup replacements for pro drivers. Anyone
>who knows how to clean the voice-coil gap in the magnet can re-cone the
>speaker. Come to think of it, even if you don't know how to clean the
>gap you can replace the cone ... but it probably won't last very long.
>
>-Denny

I ran it thru WinISD and it isn't much of a sub! Might be OK in a bass bin
(don't use) or for very small venues, since it's low power...

We're moving towards small top boxes above 100hz and large subs for the bass. I
see no use for big bins and horns, since we don't have the transport, and horns
can't do sub bass, and with today's huge and cheap power amps, horns aren't that
desirable any more. ( Although I wouldn't mind 4 Lab12's!!) Remember the only
reason for a horn is efficiency, they aren't flat in response and don't go low.

We can totally rock out a school or wedding hall or whatever with 4 boxes and a
rack, and that may be it for our sound careers! We'll let you big boys do the
rest!

BTW my DJ is doing the "nasty room" again right now for a Halloween dance, no
time to experiment though... so I stayed home. Now we have 4 - 450's not sure if
he'll deploy them all. I also have new Eminence top boxes I built to try out
someday with a spare amp, possibly a Traynor (?) but I'm not sure... we seem to
collect lots of junk!

So much to do, so little time!