From: Tony Toews on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:07:33 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:

>: Oh yes, I'm using the CSIDL values for all these kinds of system
>: folders. Which is why I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find the
>: CSIDL for this particular folder.
>:
>: I just double checked. <smile> (I love MZTools for this kind of
>: searching. ) Some of that code is ten years old. And yup, no hard
>: coded Windows or Program Files anywhere.
>
>Microsoft Shared is technically not a system folder, but a subfolder MSFT
>uses for their own wares under Common Files, which is a system folder
>(CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON)

Yes, I found that CSIDL.

>That said, it's not uncommon for the author of their particular app to
>retain the language of his home country. So "Micorsoft Shared" is
>*probably* that same, regardless the systems language.

Gotta love that word probably. <smile> But a few more responses
should confirm that it hasn't been mucked with. The problem from my
perspective is that it's Access DAO and ACE DLLS I want to check.
And Office is definitely a multilingual app so who knows for sure what
they've all done.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> :
> : Oh yes, I'm using the CSIDL values for all these kinds of system
> : folders. Which is why I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find the
> : CSIDL for this particular folder.
> :
> : I just double checked. <smile> (I love MZTools for this kind of
> : searching. ) Some of that code is ten years old. And yup, no hard
> : coded Windows or Program Files anywhere.
>
> Microsoft Shared is technically not a system folder, but a subfolder MSFT
> uses for their own wares under Common Files, which is a system folder
> (CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON)
>
> That said, it's not uncommon for the author of their particular app to
> retain the language of his home country. So "Micorsoft Shared" is
> *probably* that same, regardless the systems language.

I checked 2 of my multi-boot systems, and obviously one time or
another some guys at Microsoft ignored localisation. So they
created additional folders with the english names.

I found (german Windows 2000, XP):

\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Helmut Meukel\Anwendungsdaten
- the correct folder - and
\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Microsoft Shared\DAO and
other subfolders

\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\System\msadc, ...\ado, and
....\Ole DB
together with a \Programme\Common Files\System\Msadc
Seems some install, probably an update or other version put
the msadc files in the wrong place.
On another system some files for the Designer were put into the
wrong folder:
....\Common Files\Designer
but ...\Gemeinsame Dateien\Designer does exist, too.

On another System (NT4) I have \Programme
and \Program Files with just one subfolder: \Creative

I'm certain, with older Windows versions (up to XP) M$ always
used "Microsoft Shared" - no localized name -

Helmut.

From: Henning on

"Helmut Meukel" <Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de> skrev i meddelandet
> "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> :
>> : Oh yes, I'm using the CSIDL values for all these kinds of system
>> : folders. Which is why I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find the
>> : CSIDL for this particular folder.
>> :
>> : I just double checked. <smile> (I love MZTools for this kind of
>> : searching. ) Some of that code is ten years old. And yup, no hard
>> : coded Windows or Program Files anywhere.
>>
>> Microsoft Shared is technically not a system folder, but a subfolder MSFT
>> uses for their own wares under Common Files, which is a system folder
>> (CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON)
>>
>> That said, it's not uncommon for the author of their particular app to
>> retain the language of his home country. So "Micorsoft Shared" is
>> *probably* that same, regardless the systems language.
>>

> I checked 2 of my multi-boot systems, and obviously one time or
> another some guys at Microsoft ignored localisation. So they
> created additional folders with the english names.
>
> I found (german Windows 2000, XP):
>
> \Dokumente und Einstellungen\Helmut Meukel\Anwendungsdaten
> - the correct folder - and
> \Application Data\Microsoft\Forms
>
> \Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Microsoft Shared\DAO and
> other subfolders
>
> \Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\System\msadc, ...\ado, and
> ...\Ole DB
> together with a \Programme\Common Files\System\Msadc
> Seems some install, probably an update or other version put
> the msadc files in the wrong place.
> On another system some files for the Designer were put into the
> wrong folder:
> ...\Common Files\Designer
> but ...\Gemeinsame Dateien\Designer does exist, too.
>
> On another System (NT4) I have \Programme
> and \Program Files with just one subfolder: \Creative
>
> I'm certain, with older Windows versions (up to XP) M$ always
> used "Microsoft Shared" - no localized name -
>
> Helmut.

Anyone surprized? M$ supports country specific locales, but their own
programmers say: oohhh, are there other countries than US. ;)

/Henning

From: Kevin Provance on

: Gotta love that word probably. <smile> But a few more responses
: should confirm that it hasn't been mucked with. The problem from my
: perspective is that it's Access DAO and ACE DLLS I want to check.
: And Office is definitely a multilingual app so who knows for sure what
: they've all done.

Question: Besides the Access DLL, are the others DLL's AX DLL's or standard
(for lack of a better term) DLLs? As AX DLL's are registered via the
registry, it really doesn't matter where they are installed...unless of
course you are doing the installing.

The best way to check for the existance of an AX DLL is to create an object
based on its interface. If you get the "Active X not found" error (I forget
the number) then it's not installed and/or registered.

From: Kevin Provance on
"Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote in message
:
: Anyone surprized? M$ supports country specific locales, but their own
: programmers say: oohhh, are there other countries than US. ;)
:

In all fairness, when installing common support files in a companies own
folder, does the language of the directory really matter? Part of the ideal
of system folders and using their CSIDL is to avoid the problem of
multi-lingual installs, references and the like (and other obvious reasons).
But when dealing with installing my own support files, I would stick them
under %COMMON FILES%\<company name> even if it translates to something else
in another language. That would be a nightmare to support!

Now it has me wondering if I could simulate my own "system folder" by adding
the appropriate entries to the registry. :-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: AAC/M4A VB Tag Decoder Source Code ??
Next: re label