From: Tony Toews on
Folks

I use CSIDLs extensively to get system folders. That is C;\Windows
is *NOT* hard coded anywhere. <smile>

However what about Microsoft Shared in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\?

Is it really "Microsoft Shared" in non English OSs? Maybe I'm blind
but I don't see ah appropriate CSIDL anywhere. Presumably
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494(VS.85).aspx is the
office source.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:45:44 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Is it really "Microsoft Shared" in non English OSs? Maybe I'm blind
>but I don't see ah appropriate CSIDL anywhere. Presumably
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494(VS.85).aspx is the
>office source.

In a posting I found mention of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools
Key: SharedFilesDir
The poster checked both win2000 and WinXP (US and Swedish)

Does that seem reasonable?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Henning on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> skrev i meddelandet
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:45:44 -0600, Tony Toews
> <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>Is it really "Microsoft Shared" in non English OSs? Maybe I'm blind
>>but I don't see ah appropriate CSIDL anywhere. Presumably
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762494(VS.85).aspx is the
>>office source.
>
> In a posting I found mention of
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools
> Key: SharedFilesDir
> The poster checked both win2000 and WinXP (US and Swedish)
>
> Does that seem reasonable?
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
> updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/
> Granite Fleet Manager http://www.granitefleet.com/

In Swedish XP, yes. Also be aware that we use x:\Program not Program Files,
wich in turn often needs added "" surrounding paths. One sign is when
explorer starts with Program as the dir, after some app has hardcoded an
install to Program Files.

/Henning

From: Tony Toews on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:06:13 +0200, "Henning"
<computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>> In a posting I found mention of
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools
>> Key: SharedFilesDir
>> The poster checked both win2000 and WinXP (US and Swedish)
>>
>In Swedish XP, yes.

Thanks.

>Also be aware that we use x:\Program not Program Files,
>wich in turn often needs added "" surrounding paths. One sign is when
>explorer starts with Program as the dir, after some app has hardcoded an
>install to Program Files.

Oh yes, I'm using the CSIDL values for all these kinds of system
folders. Which is why I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find the
CSIDL for this particular folder.

I just double checked. <smile> (I love MZTools for this kind of
searching. ) Some of that code is ten years old. And yup, no hard
coded Windows or Program Files anywhere.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Kevin Provance on
"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
:
: Oh yes, I'm using the CSIDL values for all these kinds of system
: folders. Which is why I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find the
: CSIDL for this particular folder.
:
: I just double checked. <smile> (I love MZTools for this kind of
: searching. ) Some of that code is ten years old. And yup, no hard
: coded Windows or Program Files anywhere.

Microsoft Shared is technically not a system folder, but a subfolder MSFT
uses for their own wares under Common Files, which is a system folder
(CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON)

That said, it's not uncommon for the author of their particular app to
retain the language of his home country. So "Micorsoft Shared" is
*probably* that same, regardless the systems language.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: AAC/M4A VB Tag Decoder Source Code ??
Next: re label