From: John Pollard on
Some time ago a fellow named Harry Wagensveld posted a nice solution to
the missing Quicken sounds problem; which follows.

1. Logon to the user that installed Quicken. (in my caseadministrator)
2. Open Regedit
3. Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Quicken key.
4. Do a file export to an appropriate directory (Shared Documents works
well) and save the file (I called mine quickensounds.reg)
5. Close Regedit and logoff.
6. Logon as the user requiring sounds.
7. Open Regedit
8. Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps key.
9. Do a file import of the file saved in step 4.
10. Open Quicken and sounds work great (provided you've turned them on).

My question: does this work for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7?
If not, what changes would be required to make it work?

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

While I haven't actually tried it, I think it should work - with one caveat.

> 1. Logon to the user that installed Quicken. (in my caseadministrator)

Just be sure that this user's Quicken has Sounds working.

In my experience, usually even the user who installed Quicken does not have
Sounds. But I haven't really explored this in depth.

You'd think that Intuit would have fixed this problem by now. It first
showed up in Windows 2000, 10 years ago, and has been an unneeded hassle in
each Quicken version since then.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: hexHead� on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:35:28 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net>
wrote:

>You'd think that Intuit would have fixed this problem by now. It first
>showed up in Windows 2000, 10 years ago, and has been an unneeded hassle in
>each Quicken version since then.
>
>RC

Careful there R.C.
Presenting Intuit in a bad light with such a vicious pack of facts
like that will only unleash the hell and fury of Chief Intuit
Apologist & Unpaid Corporate Shill, JPollard

You're in b-i-g trouble now...
From: R. C. White on
Hi, hexHead.

Oh, I think John knows me better than that. And I know him better, too.
;<)

We both "call 'em as we see 'em". I think he and I agree that Intuit and
Quicken are not perfect - but there are no perfect products available on the
market today. Quicken - in spite of its shortcomings - is as good as it
gets nowadays. If you know of a better product for personal financial
recordkeeping, please tell us about it, especially if it runs in Windows.

RC

From: Notan on
On 3/29/2010 3:34 PM, R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, hexHead.
>
> Oh, I think John knows me better than that. And I know him better, too. ;<)
>
> We both "call 'em as we see 'em". I think he and I agree that Intuit and
> Quicken are not perfect - but there are no perfect products available on
> the market today. Quicken - in spite of its shortcomings - is as good as
> it gets nowadays. If you know of a better product for personal financial
> recordkeeping, please tell us about it, especially if it runs in Windows.

Unfortunately, along with "we're the best" goes an attitude of "we don't
have to try harder."

And they don't.