From: Bobster on

"Leslie Davis" <ldavis50(a)tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased Quicken deluxe 2010. After instllation I found
> it was a total disaster. I have been using quicken for about 10 years
> and usually purchase the latest issue when its available. After using
> 2010 for about 1 hour I removed it and reinstalled 2009. I am certain
> that this issue was released without any QA testing. Don't waste your
> time and money buying this one.

What exactly was the problem? I upgraded from Q7 Premier to Q10 Premier and
didn't have any problems.

From: Don in San Antonio on
On Nov 7, 11:02 am, "Bobster" <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "Leslie Davis" <ldavi...(a)tx.rr.com> wrote in message

> >I recently purchased Quicken deluxe 2010.  After instllation I found
> > it was a total disaster.  I have been using quicken for about 10 years
> > and usually purchase the latest issue when its available.  After using
> > 2010 for about 1 hour I removed it and reinstalled 2009.  I am certain
> > that this issue was released without any QA testing.  Don't waste your
> > time and money buying this one.
>
> What exactly was the problem?  I upgraded from Q7 Premier to Q10 Premier and
> didn't have any problems.

Your post caught my attention because I travelled the same update
path. Here are some of my thoughts.
- First the Quicken Program Open sound is gone.
- Second the Quicken.com error report in One Step Update is still
there. Darn!
- The new menu bars at the top of the screen take up more precious
vertical screen space.
- Download transaction tab is pushed off the bottom of register
views.
- Popup register views can be resized in width but not height.
- In the Accounts bar clicking on the Investment tab used to bring up
Investments. Not so any more.
- Combining all quicken files into a single master file might be a
good idea, I'm not sure.

Quicken Support
- Quicken Live Community seems to lack any real experts. Questions
often go unanswered.
- Quicken Support via Phone is temporarily unavailable as of Nov 8,
2009
- Quicken Chat announces that you are #5 on the list with 27 minutes
to wait. Then counts down to 1 second and freezes. This happened to
me twice last night. Reminds me of the saying Fool me once shame on
you, fool me twice, shame on me. I finally gave up and sent an
email.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the changes in Quicken from 2007 to
2010. I actually liked 2007 better. I've been using Quicken since
Version 5 for Windows 95 and 3.1. Over that time period the biggest
improvement I cna think of is Direct Connect and Web Connect. So if
you ask me do I like Quicken Premier 2010, the answer is - not
really.

From: John Pollard on
Don in San Antonio wrote:

> Your post caught my attention because I travelled the same update
> path. Here are some of my thoughts.

> - First the Quicken Program Open sound is gone.

While intentional, it is scheduled to be returned in an upcoming release.
Pretty minor stuff.

> - Second the Quicken.com error report in One Step Update is still
> there. Darn!

> - The new menu bars at the top of the screen take up more precious
> vertical screen space.

Do you mean the "tabs". They're removable.

> - Download transaction tab is pushed off the bottom of register
> views.

Not in my Q2010 R2.

> - Popup register views can be resized in width but not height.

I can resize my Q2010 popup registers in height and width.

> - In the Accounts bar clicking on the Investment tab used to bring up
> Investments. Not so any more.

But the "Investing" tab (see above) will bring up Investments.

> - Combining all quicken files into a single master file might be a
> good idea, I'm not sure.

This one I don't like. It was done because some users had trouble keeping
track of the files in their Q filesets (though it really isn't that hard).
But losing the ability to cure security price history corruption problems
(as well as the possibility of working around certain downloading
problems) is too great a price to pay, in my opinion.

And you missed the backup problems introduced in Q2010.

> Quicken Support
> - Quicken Live Community seems to lack any real experts. Questions
> often go unanswered.

Tons of questions get answered ... but not if the answers aren't known.
No one in this newsgroup (and in several cases, I believe, no one at
Intuit) knows the answers to those questions either.

Also questions that have been answered a hundred times, sometimes don't
get answered the 101st time.

The flip side of the complaint is that too few posters spend enough (or
even any) time looking for what has already been posted on the subject.

But the support issues aren't Q2010 issues. I suspect that there is much
more demand being placed on the support people because of the flood of
Money converts ... which isn't really a Q2010 problem. I believe that
flood is also involved in the Live Community difficulties, if such they
be.

--

John Pollard

From: Don in San Antonio on
On Nov 8, 3:06 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> flood is also involved in the Live Community difficulties, if such they
> be.
>
> > - Quicken Support via Phone is temporarily unavailable as of Nov 8,
> > 2009
> > - Quicken Chat announces that you are #5 on the list with 27 minutes
> > to wait.  Then counts down to 1 second and freezes.  This happened to
> > me twice last night.  Reminds me of the saying Fool me once shame on
> > you, fool me twice, shame on me.  I finally gave up and sent an
> > email.
>
> > Overall, I'm not impressed with the changes in Quicken from 2007 to
> > 2010.  I actually liked 2007 better.  I've been using Quicken since
> > Version 5 for Windows 95 and 3.1.  Over that time period the biggest
> > improvement I cna think of is Direct Connect and Web Connect.  So if
> > you ask me do I like Quicken Premier 2010, the answer is - not

Hi John,

Granted, the no sound on startup is a small matter, but the
quicken.com error in OSU should have been fixed.

On the subject of combining all quicken files into one master file, it
would have been nice if they had made the master file a zip file so
that we could remove or replace defective price updates. I haven't
tried it yet, but sometimes renaming a file to .zip allows it to be
unpacked.

I use a low resolution screen setting of 1024 by 720 and I think
that's what causes the Quicken pop-up windows to be too small in the
vertical dimension and to obscure the downloaded transactions
information bar.

I know the tabs can be turned off, but wouldn't be nice if they
allowed you to move them to a side bar. With 16x9 format displays,
vertical space seems to be at a premium. I have 10.5 inches of
vertical screen space and 3 inches is devoted to menus and tabs. I
have 19 inches of horizontal space and would gladly give up 3 inches
for menus and tabs.

I suppose I should pass my opinions on to Intuit and hope that they
agree.
From: John Pollard on
Don in San Antonio wrote:

> I suppose I should pass my opinions on to Intuit
> and hope that they agree.

By all means.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/feedback/

--