From: Laura on
Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:43:32 -0400, bjn <elvis(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> You still need to buy, install and run Windows on the Mac. Why carry that
>> baggage?
>
> On Linux, I have Wine, a Windows "Emulator". Windows not required.
> Isn't there something like that for Macs?

No. The options to run windows on a mac all require purchasing a full
copy windows.
From: Laura on
Andrew wrote:
> bjn wrote:

>>> Er....Quicken for Windows? Doesn't the Mac offer an option to run
>>> Windows as well now?
>> You still need to buy, install and run Windows on the Mac. Why carry
>> that baggage?
>
> Half of me says you're baiting me and I shouldn't bother replying, the other
> half (well, 51 %) says, sure - go for it.
>
> <opinion_set_on>
>
> The reason is that Mac software (read: Quicken for Mac) often pales in
> comparison in features and support to Windows apps for the same product from
> the same vendor (if a particular vendor indeed supports it at all on
> multiple platforms). Apple realized it when they offered the ability to run
> Windows on their platform. This is just a fact of life, and I'm not going
> to get into a religious war over this. I freely admit that Apple has many
> advantages over Windows.
>
> However, consumer acceptance of computer platforms, for better or worse, is
> driven largely by both price and available applications, not always the best
> hardware or software design that might indeed run on more elegant platforms.
> Time and time again, this can be seen in previous technology examples; Beta
> vs. VHS being one famous example. One can argue that both Apples and Linux
> are better choices for hardware and software platforms, but again, that boat
> has already sailed.
>
> So, the BEST good alternative to Quicken for the Mac as I said was Quicken
> for Windows. Now, of course, there are other monetary-type programs such as
> Q that do indeed run on the Mac, but they aren't, IMNSHO, 'good'
> alternatives for Q for Mac. Indeed, their features may be richer, but the
> comparison was asked specifically about Q for Windows.
>
> <opinion_set_off>
>
> The OP never restricted his question to exclude Windows apps that can run
> on the Mac.

I agree with your comments. Many software companies have put limited
amounts of money into their Mac counterparts. Intuit is guilty of this
for both Quicken as well as QuickBooks. They *have* recently started to
put money into their products but it will take a few years before they
catch up to the windows version. Mac users are left to deal with lousy
software or to run windows on their mac in order get decent software.

From: Ian McCall on
Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>>> baggage?
>>> On Linux, I have Wine, a Windows "Emulator". Windows not required.
>> Isn't there something like that for Macs?
>
> No. The options to run windows on a mac all require purchasing a full
> copy windows.

Nope, the same options are available on the Mac. Crossover Office runs
Quicken fine, or you could try the freebie Darwine. Both are based on
WINE.

Cheers,
Ian
From: Laura on
Ian McCall wrote:
> Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:
>> Evan Platt wrote:
>>> Isn't there something like that for Macs?
>> No. The options to run windows on a mac all require purchasing a full
>> copy windows.
>
> Nope, the same options are available on the Mac. Crossover Office runs
> Quicken fine, or you could try the freebie Darwine. Both are based on
> WINE.
>

> Cheers,
> Ian
Learn something new everyday. I know about WINE but did not know that
they made one for the Mac. Is there a list of programs that Crossover
Office or Darwine run without problems? I think a list used to exist for
WINE.
From: Ian McCall on
Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:

> Learn something new everyday. I know about WINE but did not know that
> they made one for the Mac. Is there a list of programs that Crossover
> Office or Darwine run without problems? I think a list used to exist
> for WINE.

Can't seem to find one for Darwine, I imagine it will be the same as for
WINE.

For Crossover Office, there's:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=Quicken&search=app

(other apps accessible from there).

I tried Quicken 2002 UK and seemed to work fine, but I had a spare
Windows license so went VMware-wards in the end.

Cheers,
Ian
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3