From: John Morris on
Does anyone have a good alternative for Quicken for Mac users?

Thanks,
John
From: Oilcan on
You might look at Moneydance. It does operate differently and does not
have all the wizards that Quicken (or Money) has.

If your Financial Institution supports Direct Connect, you will be able
to download files automatically into Moneydance (also Bill Pay if
available). What confuses a lot of people is that it does not have an
Express Web Connect feature that Quicken has - but rest assured that
those accounts can still be manually downloaded from the web and
imported into the program. If you plan to convert your Quicken file, be
sure to read on how to do this before you plunge into it.

They offer a free (basically unlimited) trial - unlimited in that you
can import as many transactions as you would like including converting
your Quicken file = but limited to 100 manually entered transactions.

I have been using this since February 2010 and I am pleased with the
product. I have stopped running Quicken in parallel.

Oilcan

From: Andrew on
John Morris wrote:
> Does anyone have a good alternative for Quicken for Mac users?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Er....Quicken for Windows? Doesn't the Mac offer an option to run Windows
as well now?

Regards -

- Andrew

From: John Morris on
Thanks, Oilcan.

Have you heard anything about iBank?

John

From: Andrew on
bjn wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:20:21 -0400, "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> wrote:
>
>> John Morris wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a good alternative for Quicken for Mac users?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>
>> Er....Quicken for Windows? Doesn't the Mac offer an option to run
>> Windows as well now?
>
> You still need to buy, install and run Windows on the Mac. Why carry
> that baggage?

Half of me says you're baiting me and I shouldn't bother replying, the other
half (well, 51 %) says, sure - go for it.

<opinion_set_on>

The reason is that Mac software (read: Quicken for Mac) often pales in
comparison in features and support to Windows apps for the same product from
the same vendor (if a particular vendor indeed supports it at all on
multiple platforms). Apple realized it when they offered the ability to run
Windows on their platform. This is just a fact of life, and I'm not going
to get into a religious war over this. I freely admit that Apple has many
advantages over Windows.

However, consumer acceptance of computer platforms, for better or worse, is
driven largely by both price and available applications, not always the best
hardware or software design that might indeed run on more elegant platforms.
Time and time again, this can be seen in previous technology examples; Beta
vs. VHS being one famous example. One can argue that both Apples and Linux
are better choices for hardware and software platforms, but again, that boat
has already sailed.

So, the BEST good alternative to Quicken for the Mac as I said was Quicken
for Windows. Now, of course, there are other monetary-type programs such as
Q that do indeed run on the Mac, but they aren't, IMNSHO, 'good'
alternatives for Q for Mac. Indeed, their features may be richer, but the
comparison was asked specifically about Q for Windows.

<opinion_set_off>

The OP never restricted his question to exclude Windows apps that can run
on the Mac.

Regards -

- Andrew

 |  Next  |  Last