From: XS11E on
Bernie Cosell <bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

> Does GnuCash do the "connect" stuff? Being able easily and
> smoothly download my transactions is *very* important to me.

GnuCash does not import your Quicken files correctly, that might be
even more important to you.

If you have a single checking account, GnuCash *might* get it right, if
you have multiple accounts going back for many years, you'll need
months to straighten out the mess GnuCash makes of it.

NOTE: In fairness to GnuCash, it's one of several that say they can
import Quicken accounts but cannot do so.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: JimH on
XS11E wrote:
> Bernie Cosell <bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>
>> Does GnuCash do the "connect" stuff? Being able easily and
>> smoothly download my transactions is *very* important to me.
>
> GnuCash does not import your Quicken files correctly, that might be
> even more important to you.
>
> If you have a single checking account, GnuCash *might* get it right, if
> you have multiple accounts going back for many years, you'll need
> months to straighten out the mess GnuCash makes of it.
>
> NOTE: In fairness to GnuCash, it's one of several that say they can
> import Quicken accounts but cannot do so.

So, it has a steep learning curve, and it sometimes works properly. That
sounds very much like all Linux software I've seen. I'm a computer geek,
but for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to use
Linux for home applications.

--
Jim
From: Keith Snyder on

"Bernie Cosell" <bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com> wrote in message
> "Keith Snyder" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> }
> } "Bernie Cosell" <bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com> wrote in message
> } news:tpi0n5lukfldrujv22csulmfldurojk2n4(a)216.168.3.66...
> } > My computer is in the process of dieing and I'm giving some thought to
> } > moving to Linux instead of Win7..
> } > ...One huge problem in the past has been Quicken -- I assume Intuit
> } > doesn't make a Linux version yet. ?? tnx /b\
> }
> } Correct.
> }
> } You can use GnuCash for your financial accounts. It is a sort of
> QuickBooks
> } and Quicken combined. GnuCash has a steep learning curve, nowhere near
> as
> } handy as Quicken. You have to study the tutorial. But it is usable.
>
> Does GnuCash do the "connect" stuff? Being able easily and smoothly
> download my transactions is *very* important to me.
>
> /B\
> --
> Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
> bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
> --> Too many people, too few sheep <--

It's supposed to, but I've never used this feature, so I don't want to say.

From: Keith Snyder on

"XS11E" <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Bernie Cosell <bernie(a)fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>
>> Does GnuCash do the "connect" stuff? Being able easily and
>> smoothly download my transactions is *very* important to me.
>
> GnuCash does not import your Quicken files correctly, that might be
> even more important to you.
>
> If you have a single checking account, GnuCash *might* get it right, if
> you have multiple accounts going back for many years, you'll need
> months to straighten out the mess GnuCash makes of it.
>
> NOTE: In fairness to GnuCash, it's one of several that say they can
> import Quicken accounts but cannot do so.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

I had no trouble importing from my old Quicken 99 accounts, but I had only
one checking account.

There is a fundamental difference between Quicken and GnuCash due to
philosophy. Quicken makes personal accounting easy for the non-CPA user,
while GnuCash follows accounting principles to fanaticism. Basically, in
GnuCash a transaction means movement of money or things from one account to
another, while in Quicken, transactions are categorized. The relationship
between an account and a category is often close enough, but sometimes
isn't.

I make no claim that GnuCash is user friendly. You have to learn it, and I
still bobble sometimes with GnuCash splits. A friend of mine rates Quicken,
at least the older versions, as A+ programs from the end user's point of
view, and I don't disagree. On his scale I rate GnuCash C-.

I found that I was better off creating my own Chart of Accounts to guide
setting up GnuCash. That's pretty formal. A CofA is to accounting what a
flowchart is to programming, or an outline is to writing.

Still, it is usable.

From: Rob Lindauer on
Bernie Cosell wrote:
> My computer is in the process of dieing and I'm giving some thought to
> moving to Linux instead of Win7... A big part of that is examining the
> apps I use regularly and making sure there are reasonable alternatives on
> Linux.. One huge problem in the past has been Quicken -- I assume Intuit
> doesn't make a Linux version yet. ?? tnx /b\

I've been running Q2007 H&B on my Linux system for about 18 months
(initially under Crossover Standard, more recently under Wine 1.2).

The basic accounting / checkbook / reporting functions all work fine for
me. I've never used the transaction download functions in Quicken, so I
can't say whether they work.

I keep hoping for a more capable native package. I've tried many of the
current alternatives, have successfully imported my QIF files into most,
but none of them provides the one Quicken feature I really depend on
(i.e., ability to report with columns by class).

Regards, Rob L

--
Rob Lindauer - for my real email, change "att" to "sbc"