From: XS11E on
Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

> On 2/15/2010 12:29 PM, XS11E wrote:
>> Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
>>
>>> How about using Quicken for existing transactions and "start
>>> Fresh" with GnuCash, importing only the latest/necessary
>>> transactions over?
>>
>> And lose 10+ years of data? That doesn't seem like a practical
>> idea to me.
>
> I'm not suggesting scrapping the old...

Yes, you are. The title of this thread is Quicken on Linux, if Quicken
won't work properly on Linux (and WINE and Crossover Office say it will
not) and you can't import files into GnuCash or MoneyDance you really
are suggesting scrapping the old, aren't you?

Of course, you could easily keep a copy of Windows on a separate
partition but then why fool with Linux?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Notan on
On 2/15/2010 12:47 PM, XS11E wrote:
> Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> And lose 10+ years of data? That doesn't seem like a practical
>>> idea to me.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting scrapping the old...
>
> Yes, you are. The title of this thread is Quicken on Linux, if Quicken
> won't work properly on Linux (and WINE and Crossover Office say it will
> not) and you can't import files into GnuCash or MoneyDance you really
> are suggesting scrapping the old, aren't you?
>
> Of course, you could easily keep a copy of Windows on a separate
> partition but then why fool with Linux?

Sorry.

Somewhere along the way, I got the impression you were running Windows.

From: XS11E on
Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

> On 2/15/2010 12:47 PM, XS11E wrote:
>> Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> I'm not suggesting scrapping the old...
>>
>> Yes, you are. The title of this thread is Quicken on Linux, if
>> Quicken won't work properly on Linux (and WINE and Crossover
>> Office say it will not) and you can't import files into GnuCash
>> or MoneyDance you really are suggesting scrapping the old, aren't
>> you?
>>
>> Of course, you could easily keep a copy of Windows on a separate
>> partition but then why fool with Linux?
>
> Sorry.
>
> Somewhere along the way, I got the impression you were running
> Windows.

I am and that's because Quicken won't work properly on Linux.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Rob Lindauer on
XS11E wrote:

> ... if Quicken
> won't work properly on Linux (and WINE and Crossover Office say it will
> not) ...

The wine application database rates various Quicken releases under wine,
with the ratings varying from garbage for some versions, to platinum for
others. YMMV, but at least some Quicken versions run.

Codeweavers rates some Quicken releases under CrossOver Linux as bronze,
some as silver, with the overall assessment as bronze (which indeed
carries a lot of warnings).

So I'd say it's not that winehq and crossover say Quicken won't work -
but rather that, depending on version, it may work.

I myself run Q2007 H&B under wine 1.1.38. The basics all work. I
haven't tried the transaction and investment download functions, which I
suspect could indeed be more problematic.

--
Rob Lindauer - for my real email, change "att" to "sbc"
From: XS11E on
Rob Lindauer <rlindx(a)attgobal.net> wrote:

> The wine application database rates various Quicken releases under
> wine, with the ratings varying from garbage for some versions, to
> platinum for others.

The latest Platinum that's *fully* tested is 2006.

Back to my original assertion, it doesn't run properly, 3 year old
versions are problematical.

> I myself run Q2007 H&B under wine 1.1.38. The basics all work. I
> haven't tried the transaction and investment download functions,
> which I suspect could indeed be more problematic.

It shows as not tested, probably be worth a try to let the WINE people
know.

The Usenet Improvement Project: