From: Skybuck Flying on

"Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> 2. What other possibilities are there for hardware acceleration of
>> "volume-rendering" based graphics" ?!?
>
> again I avertise for the GigaVoxel paper...
> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLE09/

Also the API I mentioned is not only for gp/gpgpu...

The CPU might also need modest ammounts of information from volumes/voxels.

The document at the link seems to be mostly about "rendering"... and not so
much about "retrieving information from volume's".

The API I mentioned would use the GPU's capabilities to return information
to the CPU.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> 2. What other possibilities are there for hardware acceleration of
>>> "volume-rendering" based graphics" ?!?
>> again I avertise for the GigaVoxel paper...
>> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLE09/
>
> The word compress is found 1 time.
>
> The word compression is found 0 times.
>
> How does it compress volumes ?
>
> Can it compress for example a "(hollow) hull" to mere kilobytes ?

To understand that, it requires more than pressing F3 to search for
words in the document.
They also give a good review of the previous work which should allow you
to find all the infos you want, including a STAR report [EHK*06].

Finally, storing hollow closed surfaces as volumetric data instead of
polygons or parametric surfaces is not that clever (except if you're
dealing with implicit surfaces simulation etc.).

From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> 2. What other possibilities are there for hardware acceleration of
>>> "volume-rendering" based graphics" ?!?
>> again I avertise for the GigaVoxel paper...
>> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLE09/
>
> Also the API I mentioned is not only for gp/gpgpu...

You didn't mention any API... did you ?

> The CPU might also need modest ammounts of information from volumes/voxels.
>
> The document at the link seems to be mostly about "rendering"... and not so
> much about "retrieving information from volume's".

Your whole post was about volume rendering... isn't it ?
This paper deal both with the acceleration structure (octree), the way
to use and update it efficiently on the GPU (during camera motion for
example, if the goal is rendering) and the rendering itself (ray
marching and filtering).

> The API I mentioned would use the GPU's capabilities to return information
> to the CPU.

GPU-CPU transfers are usually to be avoided. What kind of information do
you want to transfer ? The final image (-> then it's volume rendering) ?
"Some" results of "some" computations ?... it's vague.
From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>>> again I avertise for the GigaVoxel paper...
>>> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLE09/
>>
>> The word compress is found 1 time.
>>
>> The word compression is found 0 times.
>>
>> How does it compress volumes ?
>>
>> Can it compress for example a "(hollow) hull" to mere kilobytes ?
>
> To understand that, it requires more than pressing F3 to search for words
> in the document.

I looked through it... it seems about some kind of "block" compression.

Quite complex too... with nodes and such.

?

> Finally, storing hollow closed surfaces as volumetric data instead of
> polygons or parametric surfaces is not that clever (except if you're
> dealing with implicit surfaces simulation etc.).

Polygons need to be rendered/pixelated with complex formula's and routines.

Voxel's can be ray-traced and massively parallel too ?!?

Like John Carmack said: When the polygons become that small it doesn't make
much sense to use polygons anymore...

Points is not an option those too small.

Voxels seems ok, they lie in a grid... so their more like boxes.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>>> again I avertise for the GigaVoxel paper...
>>> http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2009/CNLE09/
>>
>> Also the API I mentioned is not only for gp/gpgpu...
>
> You didn't mention any API... did you ?

See follow-up post.

>> The CPU might also need modest ammounts of information from
>> volumes/voxels.
>>
>> The document at the link seems to be mostly about "rendering"... and not
>> so much about "retrieving information from volume's".
>
> Your whole post was about volume rendering... isn't it ?

No not really, it's about nextgen-hardware to speed-up the use of
"volumes/voxels-based technology".

Rendering is just a part of it.

> This paper deal both with the acceleration structure (octree), the way to
> use and update it efficiently on the GPU (during camera motion for
> example, if the goal is rendering) and the rendering itself (ray marching
> and filtering).

As long as it renders one or two objects that not very impressive...

It needs to render entire scenes... and then the scenes need to have physics
as well.

>> The API I mentioned would use the GPU's capabilities to return
>> information to the CPU.
>
> GPU-CPU transfers are usually to be avoided. What kind of information do
> you want to transfer ?

The compressed voxels/volumes, and just some coordinates for lines.

> The final image (-> then it's volume rendering) ?

That perhaps to after the rendering.

> "Some" results of "some" computations ?... it's vague.

"Compression/Decompression" computations.

Voxels/Volumes can be compressed well, but need to be decompressed to do
computations on...

I don't think CPU's are suited to handle that kind of work...

Nor do graphics cards seem really suited for it...

Perhaps new technology needs to be created which focus on decompressing the
volumes very rapidly to allow computations on them.

The computations could be done inside the new technology as well so that the
big volumes don't have to be transferred.

The compressed volumes could stay inside the new technology, the
uncompressed can simply be thrown away/overwritten.

The volumes get decompressed only when needed.

Bye,
Skybuck.