From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> Points is not an option those too small.
>> No. Points *are* an option. More precisely, you don't render "points" but
>> "splats" which are basically stretched discs. Look for example at:
>> http://www.irit.fr/~Gael.Guennebaud/docs/deferred_splatting_eg04.pdf
>> They render forests with points.
>
> I guess the "splat" idea is the same as the "vector balls" idea from long,
> long, long ago:
>
> If I wanted to try it I would probably try to drive this concept to the
> limit:
>
> "UltraForce Vector Demo:"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2suZ1KkZ9HI
>
> See 3:07 where the vector balls start ;) :)
>
> Is that the same concept as "splat" ? ;) :)

no. Splats are 2D. But again, you'll need to READ to understand that.
Come on, the paper I gave is 8 pages long.... you are only able to watch
youtube videos ??

The splatting approach is just as old as 2001, in "Surface Splatting"
from Zwicker et al. (8 pages as well, and it's the first google result),
but there are other slightly different older works (Qsplat in 200...).
The point based rendering approach though is as old as 1985 (The Use of
Points as Display Primitives, by Levoy and Whitted).
From: Skybuck Flying on

"Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> They also give a good review of the previous work which should allow you
>>> to find all the infos you want, including a STAR report [EHK*06].
>>
>> ?
>
> a state of the art report. Just check the reference [EHK*06].

Ok, nice tutorials about rendering and such... but why you refer me towards
them is beyond me ?

http://www.real-time-volume-graphics.org/?page_id=28

Even the last document clearly states/shows that compression is somehow
needed:

http://www.cg.informatik.uni-siegen.de/data/Tutorials/EG2006/RTVG14_LargeVolumes.pdf

So the problem of compression is still not solved.

Thanks anyway it was slightly interesting :)

Bye,
Skybuck :)

From: Skybuck Flying on

"Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> a state of the art report. Just check the reference [EHK*06].
>
> Ok, nice tutorials about rendering and such... but why you refer me
> towards them is beyond me ?
>
> http://www.real-time-volume-graphics.org/?page_id=28
>
> Even the last document clearly states/shows that compression is somehow
> needed:
>
> http://www.cg.informatik.uni-siegen.de/data/Tutorials/EG2006/RTVG14_LargeVolumes.pdf

This document did mention to check out/google for:

"dwtgpu" (related to compression/decompression ?)

I haven't done so yet... but maybe that's about compression.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on

>>> No. Points *are* an option. More precisely, you don't render "points"
>>> but "splats" which are basically stretched discs. Look for example at:
>>> http://www.irit.fr/~Gael.Guennebaud/docs/deferred_splatting_eg04.pdf
>>> They render forests with points.
>>
>> I guess the "splat" idea is the same as the "vector balls" idea from
>> long, long, long ago:
>>
>> If I wanted to try it I would probably try to drive this concept to the
>> limit:
>>
>> "UltraForce Vector Demo:"
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2suZ1KkZ9HI
>>
>> See 3:07 where the vector balls start ;) :)
>>
>> Is that the same concept as "splat" ? ;) :)
>

> no. Splats are 2D.

Then I guess it's the same since the vector balls are 2D as well, just their
coordinates are 3D.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on
I scanned through all the documents and the compression problem remains.

Bye,
Skybuck.