From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> Is that the same concept as "splat" ? ;) :)
>>
>> no. Splats are 2D.
>
> Then I guess it's the same since the vector balls are 2D as well, just their
> coordinates are 3D.

ok. Then every particle system displaying some sprites are the same as
splat. In fact, anything drawing pixels on screen are the same as splat...

No. Splat are oriented 2D ellipses which cover a surface to be drawn.
It's not a particle system, it's not "some pixels drawn on screen". The
demo you showed me is just a particle system as has been done for
decades. This is not point based rendering.

From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> I scanned through all the documents and the compression problem remains.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

you "scanned through". good. now read.
I swear it will take you more than a day to be able to speak about it.

I don't say "everything is solved". I just say there *are* efficient
compression schemes - as in the links I sent, with octree based
compression. So maybe stills things have to be done to reach Shannon
limit, but if people *are* able to render billionS of voxels, it *means*
it is sufficiently compressed for interesting use with current hardware.
If it was *not* compressed, a 8192^3 voxelization would take 2TeraBytes
(with just 1 float opacity per voxel, without any color) which obviously
does not fit in the gpu memory.
From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> I scanned through all the documents and the compression problem remains.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>
> you "scanned through". good. now read.
> I swear it will take you more than a day to be able to speak about it.
>
> I don't say "everything is solved". I just say there *are* efficient
> compression schemes - as in the links I sent, with octree based
> compression. So maybe stills things have to be done to reach Shannon
> limit, but if people *are* able to render billionS of voxels, it *means*
> it is sufficiently compressed for interesting use with current hardware.
> If it was *not* compressed, a 8192^3 voxelization would take 2TeraBytes
> (with just 1 float opacity per voxel, without any color) which obviously
> does not fit in the gpu memory.

Perhaps, but perhaps the renderer is also "cheating" by using the CPU to do
the decompression.

And if I recall correctly it does seem to be cheating by using the CPU to do
the decompression.

The problem with that is that games would not have enough CPU power level to
do the game's logic.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Nicolas Bonneel on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>> I don't say "everything is solved". I just say there *are* efficient
>> compression schemes - as in the links I sent, with octree based
>> compression. So maybe stills things have to be done to reach Shannon
>> limit, but if people *are* able to render billionS of voxels, it *means*
>> it is sufficiently compressed for interesting use with current hardware.
>> If it was *not* compressed, a 8192^3 voxelization would take 2TeraBytes
>> (with just 1 float opacity per voxel, without any color) which obviously
>> does not fit in the gpu memory.
>
> Perhaps, but perhaps the renderer is also "cheating" by using the CPU to do
> the decompression.

Instead of saying "perhaps", read it!!!!!!
If the data was decompressed on the CPU, there would be no way to send
that amount of data on the fly to the GPU. They achieve at worse 20fps
on this old hardware. If you meant "compressed", then it is completely
fine to compress data on the CPU.

> And if I recall correctly it does seem to be cheating by using the CPU to do
> the decompression.
>
> The problem with that is that games would not have enough CPU power level to
> do the game's logic.

This is mainly a gpu algo, it was in 2007, and didn't saturate the cpu
with computations. Now, I'll stop responding until you read and
understand at least 5-6 papers about whatever you're talking of.
From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> "Nicolas Bonneel" <nbonneel(a)cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> no. Splats are 2D.
>>
>> Then I guess it's the same since the vector balls are 2D as well, just
>> their coordinates are 3D.
>
> No. Splat are oriented 2D ellipses

What's the difference then ? It seems almost the same.

The UltraForce demo uses "balls/ellipse-like-things".

It even does a little bit of lightning to make the back dark and the front
lighter...

Bye,
Skybuck.