From: Phil Carmody on
Ted Davis <tdavis(a)umr.edu> writes:
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:04:02 +0200, Phil Carmody wrote:
>
> > ""Your CONFIG.SYS file contains commands that are not valid MS-DOS
> > commands,""
>
> CONFIG.SYS is processed before the command processor loads. It is in fact
> processed by the OS loader or the OS itself.

OK, that one slipped through. In that case use the 11th hit
from google as the 10th example, as there really is no shortage
of them.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
From: Rod Pemberton on

"santosh" <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> J de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>
> > s> BTW, what wrong in using a DOS bootdisk. I really don't see
> > s> why you should go "off-campus" just for a simple thing like this.
> >
> > My educated guess is that the university's IT services department
> > doesn't allow the machines to be booted from floppy disc, in order to
> > prevent students from installing viruses or corrupting the installed
> > operating system and application softwares.
>
> And my educated response is that the professors can set up the system
> using their floppies. No one was speaking about allowing students to
> upload software.
>
> Anyway if the use Bochs+FreeDOS they are assured of security and a
> workable real-mode environment. No need to go off-campus for this.

I'm not sure why anyone would need an "educated guess" (an oxymoron or
logical contradiction) when mojo716 stated the reason: "machines not running
xp." The ones not running XP or Vista are most likely in some "crazy, out
of the way, off campus place" because they are obsolete, non-critical,
non-networked, destroyable, unmaintained and/or wiped frequently.

Rod Pemberton

From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On 01 Nov 2007 23:04:02 +0200
Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Same principle as above, it's called it various things, and
> no quantity of white sheep that you show me will ever persuade
> me that there are no black sheep.
>
> So are you also so stupid that you'd be prepared to claiming that
> none of these quotes will be found at microsoft.com, then?
>
> "For a list of MS-DOS commands, type fasthelp at the command prompt"

<snip many examples of the phrase "MS-DOS commands">

Yes they are all MS-DOS commands ie. commands that run under the
operating system MS-DOS. One of the MS-DOS commands is COMMAND the standard
command interpreter which provides a CLI for running MS-DOS commands. How
the fun part there are other command interpreters available for MS-DOS for
example MKS supplied a Korn shell implementation that ran under MS-DOS and
could be used to run those same MS-DOS commands. There are even GUIs that
can be used to run MS-DOS commands (and they are not all called Windows).

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
From: Phil Carmody on
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> writes:
> On 01 Nov 2007 23:04:02 +0200
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Same principle as above, it's called it various things, and
> > no quantity of white sheep that you show me will ever persuade
> > me that there are no black sheep.
> >
> > So are you also so stupid that you'd be prepared to claiming that
> > none of these quotes will be found at microsoft.com, then?
> >
> > "For a list of MS-DOS commands, type fasthelp at the command prompt"
>
> <snip many examples of the phrase "MS-DOS commands">
>
> Yes they are all MS-DOS commands ie. commands that run under the
> operating system MS-DOS.

When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".

Phil
From: Renaissance on
Phil Carmody ha scritto:

>> Yes they are all MS-DOS commands ie. commands that run under the
>> operating system MS-DOS.
>
> When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".

"SHELL=<path_to_my_shell>" is a directive in the config.sys
that allow the use of an alternative CLI, don't you know?

bye G.L.

--
Renaissance, aka Gian Luca Sole
"E' assolutamente evidente che l'arte del cinema si ispira