From: Phil Carmody on
Renaissance <glucasole(a)tiscali.it> writes:
> Phil Carmody ha scritto:
> >> Yes they are all MS-DOS commands ie. commands that run under the
> >> operating system MS-DOS.
> > When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".
>
> "SHELL=<path_to_my_shell>" is a directive in the config.sys
> that allow the use of an alternative CLI, don't you know?

And?

If you use that to invoke your home-grown CLI that uses a
zsh-like syntax, I'm pretty sure Microsoft wouldn't call them
"MS-DOS commands". However, just look at the things that it
does call "MS-DOS commands" - as only that will satisfy the
question of whether Microsoft call their CLI "MS-DOS" and
"the MS-DOS prompt" and the commands typed into their CLI
"MS-DOS commands". And satisfy it in the positive.

What did alt.lang.asm do to deserve this invasion of thick?

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On 02 Nov 2007 13:45:13 +0200
Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> writes:
> > On 01 Nov 2007 23:04:02 +0200
> > Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Same principle as above, it's called it various things, and
> > > no quantity of white sheep that you show me will ever persuade
> > > me that there are no black sheep.
> > >
> > > So are you also so stupid that you'd be prepared to claiming that
> > > none of these quotes will be found at microsoft.com, then?
> > >
> > > "For a list of MS-DOS commands, type fasthelp at the command prompt"
> >
> > <snip many examples of the phrase "MS-DOS commands">
> >
> > Yes they are all MS-DOS commands ie. commands that run under the
> > operating system MS-DOS.
>
> When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".

*One* way of running them is by typing the name into the interface
provided by the command prompt - it is *not* the only way of running them.
What makes them MS-DOS programs is that they use the MS-DOS system call
interface not that they are launched by the MS-DOS default command
interpreter.

A simple question for you - if I launch one of these programs
from the MKS Korn shell does it become a Korn shell command or is it still
an MS-DOS command ? how about if I launch it from Windows with a PIF file ?
or from 4DOS ? or from Desqview ?

The command interpreter in COMMAND.COM is a component of MS-DOS
that provides the default CLI for MS-DOS, it is *not* MS-DOS.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
From: Renaissance on
Phil Carmody ha scritto:

>>> When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".

>> "SHELL=<path_to_my_shell>" is a directive in the config.sys
>> that allow the use of an alternative CLI, don't you know?

> And?

> If you use that to invoke your home-grown CLI that uses a
> zsh-like syntax, I'm pretty sure Microsoft wouldn't call them
> "MS-DOS commands".

It's not interesting wether or not microsoft call the CLI/
dos prompt "MS_DOS": the facts are others, and it's not a
merely matter of definitions (your unique argumentation...).
IMHO you're just a bit confused: the parameters sintax of an
external command mainly depends on the command itself (another
thing is the sintax of shell's internal commands), the script
language, special functions, metacharacters, etc. of the specific
shell is another matter. BTW, the zsh MUST conform to the api
specifications of the DOS kernel to request the "load and execute"
primitive in order to call an external command/executable and
to do parameter passing.
Are you really sure, for example, that the external "MODE" command,
called with the adequate parameters for setting a serial port, is
different if called using command.com and zsh.exe, and the "MODE"
command is NOT a DOS command in the second case?

bye G.L.

--
Renaissance, aka Gian Luca Sole
"E' assolutamente evidente che l'arte del cinema si ispira
From: Walter Bushell on
In article <20071102154412.8dc5c6cc.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:

> A simple question for you - if I launch one of these programs
> from the MKS Korn shell does it become a Korn shell command or is it still
> an MS-DOS command ? how about if I launch it from Windows with a PIF file ?
> or from 4DOS ? or from Desqview ?
>
> The command interpreter in COMMAND.COM is a component of MS-DOS
> that provides the default CLI for MS-DOS, it is *not* MS-DOS.

If you told the word processor that the computer is a MS-DOS, they would
not have believed you for some of the alternatives above. OTOH, give
them and COMMAND.COM interface over a UNIX like system and they will go
right ahead. The interface is the operating system. Certainly true in
the UNIX world, which is tied together by a mostly similar interfacen
and nothing else.
From: Phil Carmody on
Renaissance <glucasole(a)tiscali.it> writes:

> >> "SHELL=<path_to_my_shell>" is a directive in the config.sys
> >> that allow the use of an alternative CLI, don't you know?
>
> > And?
>
> > If you use that to invoke your home-grown CLI that uses a zsh-like
> > syntax, I'm pretty sure Microsoft wouldn't call them "MS-DOS
> > commands".
>
> It's not interesting wether or not microsoft call the CLI/
> dos prompt "MS_DOS"

Now I see why you appear to be missing the point. Because
you're completely missing the point. The above is *precisely*
the issue in JBdeP's webpage that I was raising.

Read upthread. With brain turned to "comprehend" this time.

Phil