From: mojo0716 on
I'm going to give Bochs and FreeDos a shot. I got Bochs installed and
I am trying to figure out how to configure it to run FreeDos.

thanks

From: Phil Carmody on
"lee h" <This(a)AddressIs.invalid> writes:
> Phil Carmody wrote:
> > He claimed that MS do not refer to the CLI as DOS.
> > I showed MS refering to the CLI as DOS.
>
> you most certainly did not show anything of the kind.

Well, they were undeniably MS quotes, undeniably refering
to their CLI, and undeniably calling it "MS-DOS".
Quite what else you think is required to satisfy you that
they were MS refering to the CLI as DOS, I daren't guess,
but guess it probably requires ketamine injections to the
brain stem, and I just don't want to follow you down that
route.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
From: Renaissance on

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Renaissance, aka Gian Luca Sole
"E' assolutamente evidente che l'arte del cinema si ispira
alla vita, mentre la vita si ispira alla TV" - Woody Allen
From: Evenbit on
On Nov 2, 1:56 pm, Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demun...(a)yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> > *One* way of running them is by typing the name into the interface
> > provided by the command prompt - it is *not* the only way of running them.
>
> How else would you invoke 'dir'? Could you launch the dir that's
> part of the MS-DOS (or MS Windows) distribution from within your
> MKS Korn shell? Having any luck with 'dir.com' or 'dir.exe'?
>
> > What makes them MS-DOS programs
>
> Programs, eh? Do you think 'dir' is a 'program'? If so, please
> evolve a brain; if not, then try to avoid changing the topic.
>
> > is that they use the MS-DOS system call
> > interface not that they are launched by the MS-DOS default command
> > interpreter.
>
> That much is true. Have you already forgotten that all of the
> quotes I included had the string "MS-DOS commands" in them,
> and not "MS-DOS programs"? Won't your MediCare cover pills to
> aid with your memory loss?
>
> > A simple question for you - if I launch one of these programs
> > from the MKS Korn shell does it become a Korn shell command or is it still
> > an MS-DOS command ? how about if I launch it from Windows with a PIF file ?
> > or from 4DOS ? or from Desqview ?
>
> Still on "programs", eh? And still wondering what some individual
> who is not the author or vendor of the OS or the CLI thinks it
> should be called? Erm, why? Is addressing the actual point raised
> too much strain for you?

True. There are several commands built into COMMAND.COM (CMD.EXE)
that are not provided elsewhere.

Nathan.

From: Evenbit on
On Nov 2, 12:07 pm, Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demun...(a)yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> Renaissance <glucas...(a)tiscali.it> writes:
> > > When typed at the "MS-DOS prompt".
>
> > "SHELL=<path_to_my_shell>" is a directive in the config.sys
> > that allow the use of an alternative CLI, don't you know?
>
> And?
>
> If you use that to invoke your home-grown CLI that uses a
> zsh-like syntax, I'm pretty sure Microsoft wouldn't call them
> "MS-DOS commands". However, just look at the things that it
> does call "MS-DOS commands" - as only that will satisfy the
> question of whether Microsoft call their CLI "MS-DOS" and
> "the MS-DOS prompt" and the commands typed into their CLI
> "MS-DOS commands". And satisfy it in the positive.
>
> What did alt.lang.asm do to deserve this invasion of thick?

Dang! I am sure happy that you and I didn't grow up in the same
neighborhood. I learned quite early to RUN LIKE HELL after throwing a
rock into a hornet's nest -- *you* obviously just stood there and kept
throwing. :)

Nathan.

Tomorrow's obit: Phat Phil (valiant defender of a.l.a) - stung to
death by a virtual hive.