From: Michael Dobony on
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:11:46 -0500, McSteve wrote:

> "Michael Dobony" threw his sippy cup on the floor and wrote:
>> ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I have encountered
>> LOTS of illogic from the regulars of this newsgroup. Many, if not most,
>> have exhibited zero critical thinking skills, and do not even know what
>> critical thinking is. You are showing signs of being one of them.
>>

> Right. Tell me once again about these one-of-a-kind omni 58s you
> own. You should put them up on ebay. I'm sure they'd fetch a
> princely sum due to their rarity.

You need to clean out your memory. I do NOT own them, nor did I purchase
them. I "inherited" them and they are long gone. You really think I could
get a great price from some Chinese knockoff? And what does this have to do
with the feedback problem?

>> When have ANY of you regulars heard me mix?
>>

> I think we'd all have to answer "no", fortunately.

Yet the experienced and accomplished musicians like my mixing, one of which
is a former professional symphony musician, talented in playing a multitude
of instruments.

>> Yet my skills have been totally condemned by those who have NEVER heard
>> me.
>> That is called prejudice.
>>

> Any person who's been doing this line of work in a professional setting
> for any length of time can tell you have limited knowledge just by the
> hair-brained misguided stuff you've posted here over time. It's called
> "spotting a phoney".

Yet my "stuff" is proven and confirmed by experience and manufacturers and
science.

>> Several years of running sound and successfully troubleshooting sound
>> problems.
>>

> According to you. We can only assess your relative experience by
> what you write in this NG. I can honestly say that you come off as
> an amateur 'volunteer' type with very little real world experience.
> Put it this way...If I needed crew for a job and I felt compelled to recruit
> help from this NG, you would not be one I'd consider. In fact, that list
> of candidates would be pretty short for a number of reasons. Some not
> skill related.

If asked to work for anyone here I would flatly refuse. Nor would I hire
anyone from here for the sole reason of attitudes like yours. Rebellion and
arrogance are instant disqualifications for any job no matter what the
field.

The last time I asked a question here all I got was personal insults and
advice that resembled Huck Finn's tying looking at a new moon over your
left shoulder and dying. My question was answered intelligently off list
because he was afraid to give an honest answer publicly due to the sick
attitudes of the regular posters.

> Just recently there was a thread devoted to experience and current
> status within the field. Go find it and read through various people's
> entries. Then, ask your self where you fall in the scale of things
> relative to many of the other folk's CVs.

Practice makes permanent, but not necessarily perfect. There are lots of
people here and in many other fields that have lots of experience, but
can't do an adequate job. There are lots of people who take to their
careers almost instantly. I have worked with people who have had lots of
experience doing the wrong thing and with beginners who can do a much
better job than the "pros." Years of experience does not prove anything.

Now, what does this have to do with feedback? What specifically do you have
against the advice I gave? Actually, I have something against the advice I
gave when pondering further on the OP's situation with regard to the
autoEQ. With minimal setup time for such things as weddings and such he is
likely not the only one setting up. This means lots of noise with chairs,
tables and decorations being set up. An autoEQ will not work well in this
situation. Learning to set up a 31 band eq quickly is the only reliable
option in those situations (a major step up from the 4 band he has now). It
shouldn't take that long to pop in a sample CD and eq the room. Of course
nothing will help when a guest refuses to listen to instruction on how to
adequately handle a mic. I like the one term someone use3d, magic wand. "If
I am holding the mic I can speak softly and it will pick up my voice if I
hold it at my belt." Yea, right.

Now unless you are ready to address my response to the OP, this is the last
time I will respond to your childish insults. You and George have done a
more than adequate job of proving my point.

Mike D.
From: McSteve on
Showing a lack of common sense,
"Michael Dobony" wrote:

> You really think I could
> get a great price from some Chinese knockoff?

It's possible. You'd only have to find a fool as gullible
as you to buy them.

> Yet the experienced and accomplished musicians like my mixing,

According to you. Anyone can come into an NG making unsupported
claims about their abilities.
The simple fact is that you have repeatedly posted nonsense on this
NG. That alone reveals what you know about the work. Your posts
tell the tale. You're an amateur hack. You have no business giving
anyone advice on the subject. I believe I've said this before: You should
post less and just shut up and pay attention. You might learn something.
But, given your inflated sense of self, I don't think that's likely.

> If asked to work for anyone here I would flatly refuse. Nor would I hire
> anyone from here for the sole reason of attitudes like yours.

You couldn't hire anyone 'from here' because you couldn't afford it.
And, I don't think you'll have to worry about being in the unfortunate
position of having to say "no" to an offer of work stemming from this NG.

> Rebellion and
> arrogance are instant disqualifications for any job no matter what the
> field.

No "rebellion" or "arrogance". Just hard facts. You are a know-nothing.

> Practice makes permanent, but not necessarily perfect. There are lots of
> people here and in many other fields that have lots of experience, but
> can't do an adequate job.

The true test of someone's adequacy is how often they work, and
where they work. Plus, how much they are paid for that work.
Give us a list of the projects you've worked on. If you're such
an accomplished pro, I'm sure that would impress us all.

> Now, what does this have to do with feedback?

Nothing. And that's not the point. I was advising someone who knows
even less than you do that they shouldn't pay attention to what you write.
Given that all you are capable of is parrotting others or dispensing bad
info that you seemingly pull out of your nether regions.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Arny Krueger on
"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in
message news:5jbaqbfhkuk7$.1rxz6346fjzb2$.dlg(a)40tude.net

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:11:46 -0500, McSteve showed his lack of adult-like
> self control and people skills by spewing:

>> "Michael Dobony" threw his sippy cup on the floor and
>> wrote:

>>> I have encountered LOTS of illogic from the regulars of
>>> this newsgroup. Many, if not most, have exhibited zero
>>> critical thinking skills, and do not even know what
>>> critical thinking is. You are showing signs of being
>>> one of them.
>
>> Right. Tell me once again about these one-of-a-kind omni
>> 58s you own. You should put them up on ebay. I'm sure they'd
>> fetch a > princely sum due to their rarity.

OTOH like most so-called directional mics SM58s are pretty much omnis at low
frequencies. If their bottom ends weren't so rolled-off there, that could be
an unamanable problem.

> You need to clean out your memory. I do NOT own them, nor
> did I purchase them. I "inherited" them and they are long
> gone. You really think I could get a great price from
> some Chinese knockoff? And what does this have to do with
> the feedback problem?

More to the point we see the usual suspects trying to make trouble by
rehashing an incident that happened a number of months ago. Yes, calling a
SM58 an omni is a terrible blunder that no experienced sound tech would
make. However, sane people just move on. Not so with certain AAPLS regulars.

From: Arny Krueger on
"McSteve" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> Showing a lack of common sense,
> "Michael Dobony" wrote:
>
>> You really think I could
>> get a great price from some Chinese knockoff?
>>

> It's possible. You'd only have to find a fool as gullible
> as you to buy them.
>
>> Yet the experienced and accomplished musicians like my
>> mixing,
>
> According to you. Anyone can come into an NG making
> unsupported claims about their abilities.

Right, and some of them are AAPLS regulars who are very self-righteous about
their rather obviously limited technical skills and poor understanding of
audio technology.

From: Phildo on

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
> More to the point we see the usual suspects trying to make trouble by
> rehashing an incident that happened a number of months ago. Yes, calling a
> SM58 an omni is a terrible blunder that no experienced sound tech would
> make. However, sane people just move on. Not so with certain AAPLS
> regulars.

Moving on is all very well once the idiot who made the mistake has admitted
it and learned from it.

I remember a certain dumbass on here who still says 95% of mixing desks do
not have PFL, that they can set channel gains better with their ears than by
using the meters, that FOH engineers need to be able to read orchestral
scores and a whole load of other errors that they have not admitted to,
learned from or apologised for.

Phildo