From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:37:44 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>I have been a certified diver for over 30 years. The only guy I knew who got
>hurt by a shark tried to ride on the back of of a blue one and needed 33
>stitches in his leg. The only fish that really scared me was schools of
>blues. I needed a new wetsuit after that encounter. With most of these
>creatures, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.

I'm also a certified diver. The only time I've ever been concerned
about the fish around me was a night dive in St Thomas when tarpon
were feeding. Tarpon whack with their tail to stun their prey. I had
my light knocked out of hand twice and my dive buddy had his mask
knocked askew. The tarpon weren't after us, but we were near what the
tarpon were after.

I do have a healthy respect for barracuda after seeing a person on the
same dive boat come up a bit bloody after a barracuda mistook his
shiny necklace for something edible. No real damage, but a very
shocked diver.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:37:44 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I have been a certified diver for over 30 years. The only guy I knew who
>>got
>>hurt by a shark tried to ride on the back of of a blue one and needed 33
>>stitches in his leg. The only fish that really scared me was schools of
>>blues. I needed a new wetsuit after that encounter. With most of these
>>creatures, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.
>
> I'm also a certified diver. The only time I've ever been concerned
> about the fish around me was a night dive in St Thomas when tarpon
> were feeding. Tarpon whack with their tail to stun their prey. I had
> my light knocked out of hand twice and my dive buddy had his mask
> knocked askew. The tarpon weren't after us, but we were near what the
> tarpon were after.
>
> I do have a healthy respect for barracuda after seeing a person on the
> same dive boat come up a bit bloody after a barracuda mistook his
> shiny necklace for something edible. No real damage, but a very
> shocked diver.

In my only encounter with barracuda, they were more reluctant to have their
picture taken than the Amish.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:19:03 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:37:44 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have been a certified diver for over 30 years. The only guy I knew who
>>>got
>>>hurt by a shark tried to ride on the back of of a blue one and needed 33
>>>stitches in his leg. The only fish that really scared me was schools of
>>>blues. I needed a new wetsuit after that encounter. With most of these
>>>creatures, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.
>>
>> I'm also a certified diver. The only time I've ever been concerned
>> about the fish around me was a night dive in St Thomas when tarpon
>> were feeding. Tarpon whack with their tail to stun their prey. I had
>> my light knocked out of hand twice and my dive buddy had his mask
>> knocked askew. The tarpon weren't after us, but we were near what the
>> tarpon were after.
>>
>> I do have a healthy respect for barracuda after seeing a person on the
>> same dive boat come up a bit bloody after a barracuda mistook his
>> shiny necklace for something edible. No real damage, but a very
>> shocked diver.
>>

>In my only encounter with barracuda, they were more reluctant to have their
>picture taken than the Amish.

I haven't heard that a barracuda will attack a person, but I have
heard of numerous instances of a barracuda attacking something on or
connected to a person. Equipment or a dive bag (the mesh one you take
down), for example. It's not that they are attacking the diver. They
see something and mistake it for food.

I've personally witnessed the one instance. All other instances are
post-dive bar talk, and you know how that is. With every beer
consumed, the sea creatures get bigger and more dangerous.

I've also personally witnessed a Moray bite. We were feeding hot dogs
to the Moray at Sting Ray City in the Caymans and a woman on the boat
held hers with fingers extended instead in her fist. The eel nipped
the ends of her fingers while taking in the hot dog. Minor wound, but
she damned near inhaled her regulator mouthpiece.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:19:03 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> I'm also a certified diver. The only time I've ever been concerned
>>> about the fish around me was a night dive in St Thomas when tarpon
>>> were feeding. Tarpon whack with their tail to stun their prey. I had
>>> my light knocked out of hand twice and my dive buddy had his mask
>>> knocked askew. The tarpon weren't after us, but we were near what the
>>> tarpon were after.
>>>
>>> I do have a healthy respect for barracuda after seeing a person on the
>>> same dive boat come up a bit bloody after a barracuda mistook his
>>> shiny necklace for something edible. No real damage, but a very
>>> shocked diver.
>>>

>>In my only encounter with barracuda, they were more reluctant to have
>>their
>>picture taken than the Amish.
>
> I haven't heard that a barracuda will attack a person, but I have
> heard of numerous instances of a barracuda attacking something on or
> connected to a person. Equipment or a dive bag (the mesh one you take
> down), for example. It's not that they are attacking the diver. They
> see something and mistake it for food.
>
> I've personally witnessed the one instance. All other instances are
> post-dive bar talk, and you know how that is. With every beer
> consumed, the sea creatures get bigger and more dangerous.
>
> I've also personally witnessed a Moray bite. We were feeding hot dogs
> to the Moray at Sting Ray City in the Caymans and a woman on the boat
> held hers with fingers extended instead in her fist. The eel nipped
> the ends of her fingers while taking in the hot dog. Minor wound, but
> she damned near inhaled her regulator mouthpiece.

I've learned the hard way that drinking and diving are mutually exclusive
activities. Let's just say I had a mild hangover and did a shallow dive on
the outflow pipe off the Florida Bible College. Got seasick underwater.
Never had a more unpleasant experience. I never again had more than one beer
the night before a dive.

Have you ever gone with Noreen Rouse off of West Palm. I went of several
trips with her. I say her trips were the best I ever did, including the
Caymans. She is one of the people who made me aware of the need for respect
for the environment. She used to have a deal, give her your spear gun and
get a free dive trip. Don't know if she still has trips.
I have not gotten wet for over 12 years and I really miss it. As the saying
goes, my a-s is itching to go. I told my wife that if I lose 25 lbs, I will
go, provided my cardiologist clears me. (He will if I lose the weight.)

--
Peter
Sometimes capable of learning

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:42:34 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:19:03 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>In my only encounter with barracuda, they were more reluctant to have
>>>their
>>>picture taken than the Amish.
>>
>> I haven't heard that a barracuda will attack a person, but I have
>> heard of numerous instances of a barracuda attacking something on or
>> connected to a person. Equipment or a dive bag (the mesh one you take
>> down), for example. It's not that they are attacking the diver. They
>> see something and mistake it for food.
>>
>> I've personally witnessed the one instance. All other instances are
>> post-dive bar talk, and you know how that is. With every beer
>> consumed, the sea creatures get bigger and more dangerous.
>>
>> I've also personally witnessed a Moray bite. We were feeding hot dogs
>> to the Moray at Sting Ray City in the Caymans and a woman on the boat
>> held hers with fingers extended instead in her fist. The eel nipped
>> the ends of her fingers while taking in the hot dog. Minor wound, but
>> she damned near inhaled her regulator mouthpiece.
>>

>I've learned the hard way that drinking and diving are mutually exclusive
>activities. Let's just say I had a mild hangover and did a shallow dive on
>the outflow pipe off the Florida Bible College. Got seasick underwater.
>Never had a more unpleasant experience. I never again had more than one beer
>the night before a dive.

I'm not much of a drinker. Wine with dinner sometimes, and one or two
mixed drinks at a party is about it. Rarely a drink at home if its
just my wife and me. But, there are some things that just demand a
cold beer after. Post-dive beers are absolutely essential.

>Have you ever gone with Noreen Rouse off of West Palm.

No, but I did a drift dive in that area. It was with my daughter on
her first open-water dive after lessons.

I've been diving in the Caymans many times, off Coki Beach in St
Thomas, the British Virgin Islands, Bimini, Hawaii, and Bon Aire.
And, of course, mostly in the (Florida) Keys.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida