From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:42:34 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> I haven't heard that a barracuda will attack a person, but I have
>>> heard of numerous instances of a barracuda attacking something on or
>>> connected to a person. Equipment or a dive bag (the mesh one you take
>>> down), for example. It's not that they are attacking the diver. They
>>> see something and mistake it for food.
>>>
>>> I've personally witnessed the one instance. All other instances are
>>> post-dive bar talk, and you know how that is. With every beer
>>> consumed, the sea creatures get bigger and more dangerous.
>>>
>>> I've also personally witnessed a Moray bite. We were feeding hot dogs
>>> to the Moray at Sting Ray City in the Caymans and a woman on the boat
>>> held hers with fingers extended instead in her fist. The eel nipped
>>> the ends of her fingers while taking in the hot dog. Minor wound, but
>>> she damned near inhaled her regulator mouthpiece.
>>>

>>I've learned the hard way that drinking and diving are mutually exclusive
>>activities. Let's just say I had a mild hangover and did a shallow dive
>>on
>>the outflow pipe off the Florida Bible College. Got seasick underwater.
>>Never had a more unpleasant experience. I never again had more than one
>>beer
>>the night before a dive.
>
> I'm not much of a drinker. Wine with dinner sometimes, and one or two
> mixed drinks at a party is about it. Rarely a drink at home if its
> just my wife and me. But, there are some things that just demand a
> cold beer after. Post-dive beers are absolutely essential.
>

>>Have you ever gone with Noreen Rouse off of West Palm.
>
> No, but I did a drift dive in that area. It was with my daughter on
> her first open-water dive after lessons.
>
> I've been diving in the Caymans many times, off Coki Beach in St
> Thomas, the British Virgin Islands, Bimini, Hawaii, and Bon Aire.
> And, of course, mostly in the (Florida) Keys.

I've done most of my diving up here. Northern diving has a different type of
beauty and much lower visibility than in your area. In your area I've been
in West Palm, Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys. In the Caribbean I've
been in the Caymans and BVI. Never did any diving in the other places you've
mentioned.

--
Peter

From: Allen on
Peter wrote:
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:42:34 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> I've learned the hard way that drinking and diving are mutually
>>> exclusive
>>> activities. Let's just say I had a mild hangover and did a shallow dive
>>> on
>>> the outflow pipe off the Florida Bible College. Got seasick underwater.
>>> Never had a more unpleasant experience. I never again had more than one
>>> beer
>>> the night before a dive.
>>
>> I'm not much of a drinker. Wine with dinner sometimes, and one or two
>> mixed drinks at a party is about it. Rarely a drink at home if its
>> just my wife and me. But, there are some things that just demand a
>> cold beer after. Post-dive beers are absolutely essential.
>>

>>> Have you ever gone with Noreen Rouse off of West Palm.
>>
>> No, but I did a drift dive in that area. It was with my daughter on
>> her first open-water dive after lessons.
>>
>> I've been diving in the Caymans many times, off Coki Beach in St
>> Thomas, the British Virgin Islands, Bimini, Hawaii, and Bon Aire.
>> And, of course, mostly in the (Florida) Keys.
>>

> I've done most of my diving up here. Northern diving has a different
> type of
> beauty and much lower visibility than in your area. In your area I've been
> in West Palm, Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys. In the Caribbean I've
> been in the Caymans and BVI. Never did any diving in the other places
> you've
> mentioned.

All you diving enthusiasts--in the 1930s I was totally intrigued by
three books by Commander Edward Ellsberg, who was the US Navy's chief
salvage officer. He was responsible for the salvage of three submarines:
S-51, S-4 and Squalus, including in the case of the Squalus, rescuing
some of the crew. Of course this was all hard hat. One of the books, Men
Under the Sea, was a history of diving, including the Squalus episode. I
couldn't even swim, but these books were so well-written that I craved
nothing as much as a chance to dive. Are any of these books still around?
Allen
From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:17:48 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>All you diving enthusiasts--in the 1930s I was totally intrigued by
>three books by Commander Edward Ellsberg, who was the US Navy's chief
>salvage officer. He was responsible for the salvage of three submarines:
> S-51, S-4 and Squalus, including in the case of the Squalus, rescuing
>some of the crew. Of course this was all hard hat. One of the books, Men
>Under the Sea, was a history of diving, including the Squalus episode. I
>couldn't even swim, but these books were so well-written that I craved
>nothing as much as a chance to dive. Are any of these books still around?
>Allen

You can own for $20 plus shipping from:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Commander+Edward+Ellsberg%2C&sts=t&tn=men+under+the+sea&x=30&y=16

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Paul Furman on
Ram wrote:
> Hello,
> if you are interested :
>
> http://www.marcoedanna.com/gallery/luoghi/egitto/egitto09/egitto09.htm

Very nice photos but the gallery interface is horribly/painfully slow.
First I have to wait for all of them to load before seeing more than
thumbnails, then the large versions still have a long delay to load.
From: -hh on
Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 0, "Ram" <ram....(a)ram.ra> wrote:
> >"Bruce" <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> [wrote]
>
> >> The low contrast and poor sharpness suggests that the pictures might
> >> have been taken through the floor of a glass-bottomed boat.
>
> >Hi,
> >photos are taken in open water, not through the floor of a glass-bottomed
> >boat. Unfortunelly the camera is not professional, is a small and old
> >compact Casio Z750 , and also theunderwatercase is not prof (
> >http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/index.html) .
>
> Thanks.

(just back from a dive trip myself & downloading my cards)

The UW case in question is of the 'vinyl bag' type, which can't
tolerate that much hyperbaric pressure ... probably 25ft at most ...
and it also clearly lacks any external strobe capability. The
results are fairly evident from the resulting images (and you can do
some degree of color restoration from such relatively shallow depths,
via the Mandrake technique).

I will say that these are significantly above average for what's
typically seen from this sort of equipment configuration ... bravo to
Ram, if for no other reason than doing a very good job editing &
culling down to just the best shots.

Finally as an FYI, the Lionfish in #6 and #51 is an invasive species
in the Red Sea, and the Lionfish has also just gotten into the
Caribbean within the past five years. Reportedly, the Bahamas have
been slammed pretty bad; some other islands (eg, Caymans) are working
on eradication campaigns to minimize its impact until hopefully some
time when a more effective counter can be found, perhaps to include
that local grouper species (and the like) learn to eat them.

-hh