From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> My brain is to small to understand a "multiverse".

Everyone's brain is too small to even comprehend the number of states
possible in an x86 system. Combined with the fact that there is not a
one-to-one mapping of programs to binary object files, this is why it's
fair to say that writing a perfect disassembler is an impossibility.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: wolfgang kern on

<randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> described his limits:
| Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
| >
| > My brain is to small to understand a "multiverse".
|
| Everyone's brain is too small to even comprehend the number of states
| possible in an x86 system. Combined with the fact that there is not a
| one-to-one mapping of programs to binary object files, this is why it's
| fair to say that writing a perfect disassembler is an impossibility.

Nope, not everyone's brain work like yours.
Perhaps it is valid for your brain, but all possible instructions on
x86 in 16/32/64-bit-modes and all mixed variants are in 'my' brain already.
__
wolfgang

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

wolfgang kern wrote:

> Nope, not everyone's brain work like yours.
> Perhaps it is valid for your brain, but all possible instructions on
> x86 in 16/32/64-bit-modes and all mixed variants are in 'my' brain already.
> __
> wolfgang

I guess you don't understand the difference between a machine "state"
and a machine instruction. Oh well.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: wolfgang kern on

<randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

| > Nope, not everyone's brain work like yours.
| > Perhaps it is valid for your brain, but all possible instructions on
| > x86 in 16/32/64-bit-modes and all mixed variants are in 'my' brain
| > already.

| I guess you don't understand the difference between a machine "state"
| and a machine instruction. Oh well.

You can ask me for every single flag bit or what's in thea TSS or whatsoever
you like to know about IA-32 and AMD64 hardware, even when I'm in deep sleep,
and be sure to get a correct answer, even it may be followed by a very
nasty curse then.

__
wolfgang

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

wolfgang kern wrote:
> <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> | > Nope, not everyone's brain work like yours.
> | > Perhaps it is valid for your brain, but all possible instructions on
> | > x86 in 16/32/64-bit-modes and all mixed variants are in 'my' brain
> | > already.
>
> | I guess you don't understand the difference between a machine "state"
> | and a machine instruction. Oh well.
>
> You can ask me for every single flag bit or what's in thea TSS or whatsoever
> you like to know about IA-32 and AMD64 hardware, even when I'm in deep sleep,
> and be sure to get a correct answer, even it may be followed by a very
> nasty curse then.
>
> __
> wolfgang

I guess you don't understand what a machine "state" is. I'd suggest you
study automata theory sometime. Then, perhaps, you'd understand what is
meant by the phrase "machine state". I'll give you a quick hint with
regard to the x86, though. If you take *all* the possible bits in a
hypothetically maxed-out x86 system (including all secondary storage,
registers, memory, and anything else that can be set one way or the
other), then one configuration (that is, bit pattern) of all these bits
is *one* state of the machine. Now raise two to the power specified by
this number of bits and that the number of possible states in the
system. This is a *very* large number. Far beyond the comprehension of
any human being (or even all human beings combined) to comprehend.
Indeed, if every elementary particle in the universe were able to
record one of these states, there are still far, far, too many states
to store (IIRC, the size of the universe is somewhere around 10^78
particles or so, far less than the two to this very huge number).

So, Wolfgang: no, there is no way you could possibly even imagine all
the states that are possible to create with an x86 system.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde