From: Charles A. Crayne on
On 30 Sep 2005 16:40:45 -0700
"randyhyde(a)earthlink.net" <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

:If you take *all* the possible bits in a
:hypothetically maxed-out x86 system (including all secondary storage,
:registers, memory, and anything else that can be set one way or the
:other)

Using your definition, not only is the number of machine states
inconceivably large, it is also indeterminate, and varies over
time.

For example, my machine, like many others, has a full-time Internet
connection. In theory, every machine state in every every machine which is
also connected, or which could possibly be connected, to the Internet could
be affected by a program on my machine.

In addition, my machine, like most others, has removable media, and during
the execution of any given program, could have an indefinite number of
media swaps over the lifetime of a given program.

Finally, my machine, line a number of others, has programs which run for a
month or more. Since I can upgrade my machine with additional resources
while these programs are running, the total number of machine states may
grow over the lifetime of a given program, from this cause, as well.

All in all, I don't consider your definition to be very useful.

-- Chuck
From: wolfgang kern on

<randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

| I guess you don't understand what a machine "state" is.

So how could I write a disassembler which knows all
machine-states in all possible variants and modes
and various output options by just using 20KB then.

| I'd suggest you study automata theory sometime.

I better leave theories to were they belong to.
All machines controlled by 'my' programs work very well without it.

| ... (IIRC, the size of the universe is somewhere around 10^78
| particles or so, far less than the two to this very huge number).

| So, Wolfgang: no, there is no way you could possibly even imagine all
| the states that are possible to create with an x86 system.

Mother always said: "never laugh about handicapped" ...
So I follow this advice yet.

So we all can see it as the obvious fact:

Randy Hide's universe is limitied to 10^78 particels.
(a very tiny world indeed).

Mine is infinitive.
And how many particles are to be found on just our planet?

__
wolfgang

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Charles A. Crayne wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2005 16:40:45 -0700
> "randyhyde(a)earthlink.net" <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> :If you take *all* the possible bits in a
> :hypothetically maxed-out x86 system (including all secondary storage,
> :registers, memory, and anything else that can be set one way or the
> :other)
>
> Using your definition, not only is the number of machine states
> inconceivably large,

Of course it is. That's the point we're trying to make you see here.

> it is also indeterminate, and varies over
> time.

No it doesn't. A machine is a machine. If you add more states, you've
got a *different* machine. As I said earlier, you don't seem to
understand what is meant by the term "machine" in computer science.

> For example, my machine, like many others, has a full-time Internet
> connection. In theory, every machine state in every every machine which is
> also connected, or which could possibly be connected, to the Internet could
> be affected by a program on my machine.

Yes, it could. And each time you change the state, you have a different
machine.

But it doesn't really matter, even if we take a bare-bones PC with
smallish amount of memory, the number of possible states is so
incomprehensibly large that we couldn't possibly write a program to
process all those possible states within a reasonable amount of time.
As I believe it was Phil who said: there just aren't that many clock
ticks in the universe.

> In addition, my machine, like most others, has removable media, and during
> the execution of any given program, could have an indefinite number of
> media swaps over the lifetime of a given program.

The state of your machine includes all possible media that can be
connected and used at any point in it's lifetime. How's that?

All you're doing is increasing the number of states, making the problem
even more intractible. But as I already pointed out, the number of
states in a bare bones PC is already so astoundingly large that the
problem is, for all intents and purpose, impossible to solve. True, in
theory it *is* solvable, but you'd never benefit from the answer
because the universe would implode upon itself long before your machine
computed the result.

> Finally, my machine, line a number of others, has programs which run for a
> month or more. Since I can upgrade my machine with additional resources
> while these programs are running, the total number of machine states may
> grow over the lifetime of a given program, from this cause, as well.

And you have a different machine.
Or, we can simply consider the *maximum* number of states your machine
has over its lifetime to be the number of states the machine possesses.
This doesn't change, one bit, the fact that the problem is intractible.

> All in all, I don't consider your definition to be very useful.

Useful for what?
You (and a few others) are the ones arguing that because the x86 is a
finite state machine, we *can* solve the halting problem for programs
written on that machine. I'm simply pointing out that, in theory, this
statement is correct; but as you've so concisely stated, that fact
isn't very useful.

That's way it's a relatively safe assumption to pretend that the x86
*is* an infinite machine and assume that the theory applied to Turing
machines applies to x86 systems. True, in theory this isn't quite
accurate; but in practice it's close enough.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

wolfgang kern wrote:
> <randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> | I guess you don't understand what a machine "state" is.
>
> So how could I write a disassembler which knows all
> machine-states in all possible variants and modes
> and various output options by just using 20KB then.

Simple, your disassembler won't properly and automatically disassemble
all code fed to it. The undecidability of code/data differentiation
means that we can't make this decision for *every* possible input. It
does not imply that if we limit ourselves to some subset of possible
inputs we cannot do the job, nor does it imply that if we are willing
to live with less that 100% correct output the job cannot be done. No
doubt (as you've admitted in other posts in this thread), your
disassembler doesn't handle all possible inputs.

> | I'd suggest you study automata theory sometime.
>
> I better leave theories to were they belong to.
> All machines controlled by 'my' programs work very well without it.

Ignorance is such sweet bliss, eh?

> | ... (IIRC, the size of the universe is somewhere around 10^78
> | particles or so, far less than the two to this very huge number).
>
> | So, Wolfgang: no, there is no way you could possibly even imagine all
> | the states that are possible to create with an x86 system.
>
> Mother always said: "never laugh about handicapped" ...
> So I follow this advice yet.
>
> So we all can see it as the obvious fact:
>
> Randy Hide's universe is limitied to 10^78 particels.
> (a very tiny world indeed).

Hmmm...
I guess you have no concept of just how big 10^78 really is.

> Mine is infinitive.

Whatever that means. Certainly you don't live in a universe with an
infinite number of particles.

> And how many particles are to be found on just our planet?

I don't know the answer to that one, but I suspect you'd find the
answer with a quick Google search.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: wolfgang kern on

<randyhyde(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

| > So we all can see it as the obvious fact:

| > Randy Hide's universe is limitied to 10^78 particels.
| > (a very tiny world indeed).
|
| Hmmm...
| I guess you have no concept of just how big 10^78 really is.

Let's see if I can imagine it:
a CPU with 256 address lines (just about five times AMD64)
can address every particle in your universe. :):):)

| > Mine is infinitive.
|
| Whatever that means. Certainly you don't live in a universe with an
| infinite number of particles.

I do. Regardless of Your believe.
... Show me the border of the universe ...

| > And how many particles are to be found on just our planet?
|
| I don't know the answer to that one, but I suspect you'd find the
| answer with a quick Google search.

Why don't 'you' try it?

__
wolfgang