From: VanguardLH on
Bill Leary wrote:

> OK, so, I've been using Giganews for years for everything except the
> Microsoft groups. I just went over there and typed in
> "microsoft.public.virtualpc" and there it is. With 54890 messages.

When my ISP changed from providing their own NNTP server to contracting
with Giganews for that service but also along with a monthly quota, I
also removed the microsoft.* groups from my subscriptions to the
Gigagnews NNTP server. I instead used Microsoft's free NNTP server.
That reduced my quota consumption by not counting my microsoft.* posts
against my Giganews quota. However, too many times the filtering at
Microsoft would drop my posts (it accepted them but they wouldn't show
up) and I grew weary of having to accidentally discover the covertly
failed or rejected submission and having to resubmit my post. So I
moved back to Giganews to subscribe to the microsoft.* groups.

Then my ISP dropped its contract with Giganews and all their customers
lost newsgroups access. Several of my ISP's customers scrambled to
other NSPs, usually free ones. I started with AIOE but it was far too
flaky, too many outages (the guy would go on vacation and no one
monitored his service on his host in his grandma's basement), and then
he started playing with non-standard anti-spam quotas which he didn't
define (except a few of them after many months of having to answer the
same questions) and implemented fairly restrictive posting quotas. I
usually post more than 25 times per day so AIOE became too restrictive,
and I wasn't only interested in using they as a read-only service.

I moved to Motzarella (which became Eternal-September despite the author
not providing reasonable excuse for the name change, and to a longer and
more cumbersome domain name) which was much better than AIOE. He then
started moving to new hosts and had several outages or his overview
database got out of sync with his articles database. He then switched
to the new domain name and that caused more problems which lingered for
weeks. He had disk crashes because he wasn't RAIDed with hot-swappable
drives. He had too many further outages afterward. I grew weary of his
problems and moved to Albasani and been using them since June 2009. If
Albasani goes belly up or gets really flaky then I'll probably move back
to Eternal-September or decide to fork out the $16USD/yr subscription to
individual.net since that's damn cheap.
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:53:01 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:
>
>> See my sig. Mhile the VB reference is of no use to you, the news group
>> access might. Eternal september claims they will be ignoring msft's remove
>> message, which means the heiarchy will continue.
>
> Seems good to me. I just enrolled and downloaded the vpc and vs
> groups. Got a few months worth of articles out of the server starting
> Feb 7, 2010, I guess they don't keep everything. Maybe it is not
> considered "news" after 4 months....

I think Microsoft had a 90-day expiration policy on msnews, no? Every
server's different, of course.

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: VanguardLH on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:53:01 -0400, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:
>>
>>> See my sig. Mhile the VB reference is of no use to you, the news group
>>> access might. Eternal september claims they will be ignoring msft's remove
>>> message, which means the heiarchy will continue.
>>
>> Seems good to me. I just enrolled and downloaded the vpc and vs
>> groups. Got a few months worth of articles out of the server starting
>> Feb 7, 2010, I guess they don't keep everything. Maybe it is not
>> considered "news" after 4 months....
>
> I think Microsoft had a 90-day expiration policy on msnews, no? Every
> server's different, of course.

Microsoft's retention policy has no effect on the retention policy
employed by non-Microsoft NNTP servers. Bo switched to Eternal-
September so he doesn't care what is Microsoft's retention policy.
Also, when Microsoft kills their NNTP server, there will be no retention
on a server that doesn't exist.
From: Bill Leary on
And so today I decide to let Windows Mail have at the 64762 messages it sees
on Giganews for microsoft.public.virtualpc and I find my own question and
it's answers.

Including four posted 6/1 and 6/2. The oldest one I see is from November
17, 2003.

Seems to work.

- Bill

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: Good damn thing you jumped in to protect others from similar confusion!
:

LMAO!!!!

Pwned

--