From: Jan on
I have Windows XP Home SP3 on my 6 year old computer that has been working
quite well todate. I discovered today that my System Restore program does
not seem to work correctly. When I set my own restore point it works OK but
the restore points it automatically creates itself every day do not work.
What could be wrong with this and how can this be rectified.

From: Jose on
On Mar 3, 3:38 am, "Jan" <J...(a)Jan.com> wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home SP3 on my 6 year old computer that has been working
> quite well todate. I discovered today that my System Restore program does
> not seem to work correctly.  When I set my own restore point it works OK but
> the restore points it automatically creates itself every day do not work.
> What could be wrong with this and how can this be rectified.

Does not work correctly mean you looked in the RP calendar and see
some days where there is no RP or checkpoint?

XP would like to create an automatic RP every 24 hours, but it may not
for lots of reasons. You could go days and days without one but that
does not mean there is a problem.

The usual culprit is that the system is not idle long enough for a RP
to be made. You could have some background processes running (scans,
defrags, email, RSS feeds, scheduled tasks, etc.) that keep the system
busy and reset that idle timer.

Making a RP by hand, some program updates, a program installation,
etc. that creates a RP also resets the 24 hour "I need to make a
restore point" clock.

For me, I turn my system on, do what I gotta do and turn it off or
keep doing things all day long and there is hardly ever enough idle
time to create a automatic RP. For my system, I need to be idle for
20 minutes but that hardly ever happens to me. Any CPU activity that
consume 10% CPU time will reset the idle timer. So you need to be
sure your system is really idle.

I can go days without an automatic checkpoint if I keep doing things -
browsing Internet, email, reading silly forums like this, etc.

If I let my system just sit turned on and idle long enough and no RP
has been made in the last 24 hours (by any method) and XP thinks it is
time, a checkpoint will always be made. Works every time. If not, my
system would need repair.

Of course, the automatic method must work or you have an issue.

Make sure there has been no RP in the last 24 hours, close down all
your applications, browser, email, etc and let the system sit for an
hour. The system will create a checkpoint automatically if it thinks
it is time to do so and the system is idle (this may not be what you
think though). If not, you need to be able to explain why not, or fix
it.

From: glee on
"Jan" <Jan(a)Jan.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Home SP3 on my 6 year old computer that has been
>working quite well todate. I discovered today that my System Restore
>program does not seem to work correctly. When I set my own restore
>point it works OK but the restore points it automatically creates
>itself every day do not work. What could be wrong with this and how can
>this be rectified.

You don't state what you mean by they "do not work". Are you getting an
error message? Are there restore points in the calendar in System
Restore, and they fail with an error message when you try to restore?

There are a few reasons why a restore point would fail, and some of
those failures can be due to programs installed on the computer (such as
Norton Anti-Virus).

A common cause for corrupted restore points is that the default setting
in Windows for the percentage of drive space used by System Restore is
far too high for modern hard drive sizes. The first article linked
below explains how to adjust this.

These articles should help you troubleshoot the cause yourself:

How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses to hold
restore points:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

"Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

Troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to create an
automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

Tips on keeping System Restore healthy:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Jan on
The auto restore points are created in the calendar every day however after
the restoration I get a message that it was not succesful. My manual restore
points work OK. I don't have Norton.
Thank you Jose and Glee for your replies. I will now work through the
various options and see how it goes.

From: Jose on
On Mar 3, 9:27 pm, "Jan" <J...(a)Jan.com> wrote:
> The auto restore points are created in the calendar every day however after
> the restoration I get a message that it was not succesful. My manual restore
> points work OK.  I don't have Norton.
> Thank you Jose and Glee for your replies. I will now work through the
> various options and see how it goes.
>
> "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message

> > "Jan" <J...(a)Jan.com> wrote in message
> >>I have Windows XP Home SP3 on my 6 year old computer that has been working
> >>quite well todate. I discovered today that my System Restore program does
> >>not seem to work correctly.  When I set my own restore point it works OK
> >>but the restore points it automatically creates itself every day do not
> >>work. What could be wrong with this and how can this be rectified.
>
> > You don't state what you mean by they "do not work".  Are you getting an
> > error message?  Are there restore points in the calendar in System
> > Restore, and they fail with an error message when you try to restore?
>
> > There are a few reasons why a restore point would fail, and some of those
> > failures can be due to programs installed on the computer (such as Norton
> > Anti-Virus).
>
> > A common cause for corrupted restore points is that the default setting in
> > Windows for the percentage of drive space used by System Restore is far
> > too high for modern hard drive sizes.  The first article linked below
> > explains how to adjust this.
>
> > These articles should help you troubleshoot the cause yourself:
>
> > How to Adjust the amount of disk space System Restore uses to hold
> > restore points:
> >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html
>
> > Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
> > restore:
> >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
> >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html
>
> > Troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to create an
> > automatic restore point:
> >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html
>
> > Tips on keeping System Restore healthy:
> >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> > A+
> >http://dts-l.net/

Do you mean you see a message like this:

Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored...

Norton products can interfere with SR as they protect your system,
hence the question and that is a known and fixable working as designed
issue (not the same as a problem).

Microsoft hints in their SR notes at running using SR in Safe Mode if
it fails and sometimes that works for people.

When you have a particular one that fails, that is the one to
troubleshoot and figure out what is going on - do the restore in Safe
Mode and see what happens, then you can accept it as the way it is, or
try to fix it.

It would be curious to know what compels you to use SR? It sounds
like you might use it frequently. It is certainly not a problem
fixer. It is an undoer which is not the same as figuring something
out and fixing it. Some people seem to like to use it every day.

I keep mine running and know it works from experimentation but have
never benefited from it or was glad it was there.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Windows really really slow to start
Next: XPS viewer