From: Daave on
espee2 wrote:
> I tried the "Diagnostic Startup" in msconfig and that erased all
> my restore points (there should be a warning for that by the way)

Trying Diagnostic Startup in msconfig does *not* erase any Restore
Points. You seem to be leaving out some important information. Perhaps
you are referring to Disk Cleanup? If so, you would still need to click
on the More Options tab and then click the "Clean up" button in the
System Restore section, the one that says:

"You can free more disk space by removing all but the most recent
restore point."

Are you positive your Restore Points are erased? Has System Restore ever
worked? You should know that there are some programs that interfere with
SR. Some of these include Zone Alarm, Norton, and McAfee. One way around
this is to run SR from Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

From: espee2 on
I,m sure it did (Diagnostic Startup) I had plenty of restore points, I
checked before as that was my next move. I have the setting to save
space at 1% that's 1.5 gig, about 20 restore points, after doing a
diag startup, I had none at all and it pegged my slider back to 100%.
that was the only drastic setting change I had done in weeks (doing
the diag-startup)

anyway, so where do I find this boot log as discussed above?

From: Daave on
I am sorry that I doubted you, espee2. I was so sure of myself!

I agree with you that XP should warn you of such a thing. I did find
that information here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

.... but how many people look at this KB article before configuring a
Diagnostic Startup? I mean, come on, Microsoft!

For future reference, if you ever need to configure the equivalent of a
diagnostic startup (while keeping your Restore Points!), you may
configure a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If DL doesn't answser your question, I'll see if I can find an answer
for you.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 22:33:50 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

> espee2 wrote:
> > I tried the "Diagnostic Startup" in msconfig and that erased all
> > my restore points (there should be a warning for that by the way)
>
> Trying Diagnostic Startup in msconfig does *not* erase any Restore
> Points. You seem to be leaving out some important information. Perhaps
> you are referring to Disk Cleanup? If so, you would still need to click
> on the More Options tab and then click the "Clean up" button in the
> System Restore section, the one that says:
>
> "You can free more disk space by removing all but the most recent
> restore point."

It should be noted, though, that that freeing of disk space is really
very temporary. It doesn't take long to create more restore points and
reuse the disk space that was freed.

The only real way to save disk space used by restore points is to
reduce the total amount of space System Restore uses.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:30:51 -0800 (PST), espee2 <rnwrede(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 3, 10:16�am, "Daave" <da...(a)example.com> wrote:

> > espee2 wrote:

> > > Once it's started it runs like a dream, I tried some stuff last night
> > > and every time I restarted it was almost exactly 1 min 35 sec then
> > > boom everything popped up. gonna go check the boot log, will post it
> > > here
> >
> > If it's only 95 seconds, I'd say there's nothing wrong.
>
> 95 seconds of HELL!! -JK-:-) I checked the windows update history and
> the only hardware I updated was my Atheros wireless network driver,
> and the KME usb human interface device. the bootlog is wat to huge to
> post here (never saw one before) and makes no sense to me... :-) It
> is only 95 second, but it used to start instantly, and so the first
> couple times, until I figured out what was going on it seemed like an
> eternity and I thought it was broke.

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how long it
takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is
otherwise satisfactory, it is not generally worth worrying about. Most
people start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In
the overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't
very important. Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the
morning, then go get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I
don't know how long it took to boot and I don't care.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Persistent folders on desktop