Prev: Powered Monitors
Next: Books
From: Peter Duemmler on
What?s the problem with actually hearing the reverb?

Peter
---
http://www.merlinsound.de

From: Joe Kesselman on
Peter Duemmler wrote:
> What?s the problem with actually hearing the reverb?

If the audience conciously notices the reverb, it is no longer effective
as a Electronic Talent Enhancer. You've crossed the line from simply
correcting the flaws of the performance space to deliberately altering
the sound. Unless you *intend* to distract the audience, that's more
annoying than useful.
From: Peter Duemmler on
Did I miss a smiley?

Peter
---
http://www.merlinsound.de

From: Joe Kesselman on
Peter Duemmler wrote:
> Did I miss a smiley?

If you mean "did Peter forget to attach one", the answer is probably yes.

If you mean "did Joe forget to attach one", the answer is no.

My experience, admittedly, is primarily folk performers... but in that
mode, live sound reinforcement is all about making up for the fact that
not everyone in the audience can sit in the front row. Anything beyond
that simple balancing of sound levels needs to be very subtle or it
destroys that illusion. A bit of equalization, or a *tiny* bit of reverb
to "warm" voices (and mask some vocal flaws), is fine. Anything more is
emphatically The Wrong Answer unless the performer has explicitly
requested that you do something unusual to their sound as a special
effect -- and often they're dealing with that themselves using on-stage
electronics so your job is still just to take their sound and carry it
out to the audience.

Admittedly, live sound for rock may be a different animal. In that
setting the sound equipment is sometimes considered an extension of the
instruments rather than a part of the perfomance space. But if you're
working in that mode, you should be working closely with the performers
-- so that still comes back to "either it's a deliberate effect or it
should be subtle enough that it isn't conciously noticed except as
they-sound-good-tonight".

The job of the sound tech is to get out of the way of the music.
From: Zigakly on
> Peter Duemmler wrote:
>> What?s the problem with actually hearing the reverb?
>
> If the audience conciously notices the reverb, it is no longer effective
> as a Electronic Talent Enhancer. You've crossed the line from simply
> correcting the flaws of the performance space to deliberately altering the
> sound. Unless you *intend* to distract the audience, that's more annoying
> than useful.

LMAO Electronic Talent Enhancer, very cute. Might wanna go over every knob
on the console and consider its ETE factor... myself I couldn't care less.

However, I would rather add reverb to a room than the room present too much.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Powered Monitors
Next: Books