From: Joseph Ashwood on
George's comment in the Slope thread got me thinking about books. Obviously
the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has been recommended, are there
others? Any references are greatly appreciated.
Joe

From: shannon on
Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> George's comment in the Slope thread got me thinking about books. Obviously
> the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has been recommended, are there
> others? Any references are greatly appreciated.
> Joe

The notes on the rane site and the jensen transformers site are both useful.
Handbook for Sound Engineers Glenn Ballou
Master Handbook of Acoustics F Alton Everest
Sound System Engineering 2nd Ed Don & Carolyn Davis
The Art of Electronics Horowitz & Hill
The Mixing Engineers Handbook Mix Magazine

You learn the most when you work with people who really know what they
are doing.

It helps if you have an interest in physics as well as music and will go
out of your way to find out why meters that are calibrated to our
systems of perception are logarithmic and what the Weber Fechner law is,
and how Helmholtz resonators work, and what mechanical and electrical
equivalent circuits are. What Lenz's law is and what happened when
Augustin Fresnels ideas on optics were applied to acoustics.

Then remember that the purpose of what you are doing with all this
physics and engineering is to elicit an emotional response in your
audience and to bring out the best in your performers, you need to know
about empathy.

Some of the most profound lessons you learn from one sentence, like
'Don't yell at the local guys, they won't respect you'

From: Marc Amsterdam on
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 20:00:33 +1300, shannon <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Joseph Ashwood wrote:
>> George's comment in the Slope thread got me thinking about books. Obviously
>> the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has been recommended, are there
>> others? Any references are greatly appreciated.
>> Joe
>>

>The notes on the rane site and the jensen transformers site are both useful.
>Handbook for Sound Engineers Glenn Ballou
>Master Handbook of Acoustics F Alton Everest
>Sound System Engineering 2nd Ed Don & Carolyn Davis
>The Art of Electronics Horowitz & Hill
>The Mixing Engineers Handbook Mix Magazine

adding to those

the audio dictionairy by glen d white, nice short references,

the Audio system designer technical reference by Klark teknik
comes around very handy from time to time

psychoacoustics and control by Howard and Angus,
gets you in direction of how we hear, percieve, and how to control
such

midi systems and control by Rumsy.
Bit basic but hey, Muso's have to understand MIDI so they kept it
simple.

the later two are in the music technology series

>You learn the most when you work with people who really know what they
>are doing.
>
>It helps if you have an interest in physics as well as music and will go
>out of your way to find out why meters that are calibrated to our
>systems of perception are logarithmic and what the Weber Fechner law is,
>and how Helmholtz resonators work, and what mechanical and electrical
>equivalent circuits are. What Lenz's law is and what happened when
>Augustin Fresnels ideas on optics were applied to acoustics.
>
>Then remember that the purpose of what you are doing with all this
>physics and engineering is to elicit an emotional response in your
>audience and to bring out the best in your performers, you need to know
>about empathy.
>
>Some of the most profound lessons you learn from one sentence, like
>'Don't yell at the local guys, they won't respect you'

to the above

HEAR HEAR!

( translate into learn learn....)

cheers

Marc

Marc

From: Arny Krueger on

"shannon" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:43e1ae11$1(a)clear.net.nz...
> Joseph Ashwood wrote:
>> George's comment in the Slope thread got me thinking about books.
>> Obviously the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has been recommended,
>> are there others? Any references are greatly appreciated.

Well, there's the dumbed down church sound version of the Yamaha book that
is really good because it cuts to the chase.

Yamaha Guide To Sound Systems For Worship

> The notes on the Rane site and the jensen transformers site are both
> useful.

> Handbook for Sound Engineers Glenn Ballou
> Master Handbook of Acoustics F Alton Everest
> Sound System Engineering 2nd Ed Don & Carolyn Davis
> The Art of Electronics Horowitz & Hill
> The Mixing Engineers Handbook Mix Magazine

Good list - read all of them but the last.

Also:

Mixing Engineer's Handbook Bobby Owsinski

Entertainment Rigging by Harry Donovan.
This is book you read so that you understand why professional riggers do
what they do, not so you can become one.

<snip other excellent comments for brevity>

From: David Shorter on
Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> George's comment in the Slope thread got me thinking about books. Obviously
> the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has been recommended, are there
> others? Any references are greatly appreciated.
> Joe

Below is my stock reply to postings about the Yamaha SR Handbook.

Whilst the Yamaha SR Handbook is probably the most widely known
and available book on sound reinforcement, it is slanted more
towards the basic theory and technical side of SR and so it isn't
exactly the easiest or most fun or even the most appropriate read
for those who are just starting out or work at a level where this
info may be more than they require or can adequately comprehend,
just look at the different answers you can get when you ask a
group of experienced pro's to define what dBm, dBu and dBV mean.

There are other books on sound reinforcement which approach the
subject from other perspectives. One of those books is "Live Sound
Mixing" by Duncan R. Fry, which is written from a very hands on
point of view. Here is an excerpt from the books introduction:
"This is not a technical book. Technical books on sound theory can
often be so intimidating that you are reluctant to risk twiddling a
knob in case it's the wrong one. Well, this book is not one of those.
If you have an ear for music, then this book will show you how to
link those ears to your fingers, and pull a good live sound out of
any PA system."

Duncan Fry has a lot of experience over a long time with sound
systems from small to large. He is a founder and director of ARX,
an Australian based company that manufacturers processors, amps,
speakers etc. mainly for use in the sound reinforcement industry.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who needs to know how
to make a sound system work, be they a beginner or even an old pro
needing to refresh their addled brain cells. This is the book that
I usually recommend when I get asked how something works or 'what
should I do' or any one of the myriad of other questions that come
my way, usually when I'm to busy to take the time to give a proper
answer.

Here's a link to Duncan Fry's web page http://dunkworld.com/
where there are some excerpt's from the his book "Live Sound Mixing"
as well as info on how to get a copy of the book. There is also a
page with a whole lot of his previously published road stories, funny
and often giving a distinct feeling of deja vu.

For those who are interested, here's a link to ARX
http://www.arx.com.au/

--

Regards,
David Shorter

Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
are entirely due to transmission error.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Reverb settings
Next: EV Q66 / Dynacord S1200 Schematic?