Prev: Powered Monitors
Next: Books
From: Andy 'B' on
Hi, now and again i have singers ask for reverb. what would be the correct
reverb settings for lead vocals, what would my starting point be. Hall Etc,
how many mS.

Andy

From: George Gleason on

"Andy 'B'" <andy(a)akmt.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, now and again i have singers ask for reverb. what would be the correct
> reverb settings for lead vocals, what would my starting point be. Hall
Etc,
> how many mS.

someacts will tell you what to use
failing that
one can set the reverb to the size of the hall,see Scott Frasiers(I think,
who works with the kronos quartet) over at rec.audio.pro
90% of the time I simply solo the verb and pick one I like
george

From: Joe Kesselman on
Andy 'B' wrote:
> reverb settings for lead vocals

Depends on the room. My reverb had named settings; I chose "small hall"
since that sounded right for that space. Whatever you do, reverb should
be MINIMAL -- ie, if you can actually recognize it as reverb, you're
using too much! -- unless the performer explicitly wants it as a special
effect.
From: Rob Beech on

"Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Andy 'B' wrote:
>> reverb settings for lead vocals
>
> Depends on the room. My reverb had named settings; I chose "small hall"
> since that sounded right for that space. Whatever you do, reverb should be
> MINIMAL -- ie, if you can actually recognize it as reverb, you're using
> too much! -- unless the performer explicitly wants it as a special effect.

dont forget if you work with an act regularly its nice to have "their"
setting sotred as a preset.
ok you will probably have to make a few minor adjustments for different
venues etc but its a good starting point.

Rob

From: Zigakly on
> Hi, now and again i have singers ask for reverb. what would be the correct
> reverb settings for lead vocals, what would my starting point be. Hall
> Etc, how many mS.

Depends greatly on the room, and significantly on the music content. The
appropriate added reverb is determined by the ideal reverb minus what the
room already provides, keeping in mind the added reverb generates more room
ambience too. Many rooms require no reverb, and then sometimes a delay
helps distinguish something that would normally call for reverb. You should
start with a reverb that is different from the room type, like a plate
setting in a hall, a hall setting outdoors, or a small room setting in a
church. Fast dynamic music doesn't need reverb near as much as slower more
melodic stuff, so tempo is an issue.

As for performers specifying reverb, I often just say "that's what I
normally use anyway!" but in reality I'm thinking "I'd love it to sound like
the Royal Albert Hall too, but it takes a plate setting to achieve it".

My default reverb approach is to only add enough that it's not discernable,
but you miss it if it's turned off. I roll back the treble and bass, and
play around with the upper-mids to compensate for a full or empty room.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Powered Monitors
Next: Books