From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>5. To say that rice is a "good source of protein" and then claim it is
>incomplete is semi-oxymoronic.

It may be a "good source of protein" but still lack an amino
acid in the quantity needed.
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

> Rice could NOT be a food "staple" if it were that deficient in protein,
>esp. in areas where other sources of protein are scarce.

See Kwashiorkor, Africa & rice.
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>My cite actually GAVE you a number for the protein quality of rice -- 86.
>AND it gave you a range for fish fillet, for reference.
>Are you saying they are lying?

I doubt "protein quality" measures the full range of amino acids needed
in this context.
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>My cite actually GAVE you a number for the protein quality of rice -- 86.
>AND it gave you a range for fish fillet, for reference.
>Are you saying they are lying?

Also lacking in vitamin B; see Beriberi & "Polished Rice Disease".
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>Wiki is OK for overviews, but not much else, unless someone knowledgeable
>and talented was at the writing helm -- which as you know is pot shot pot
>luck.
>And even a lot of their overviews are hanstrung, poorly conveying gists of
>the material -- unless you perhaps have prior knowledge.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/5/3/316

Probably more stuff here:
http://scirus.com/srsapp/search?q=%22amino+acid%22+rice+disease&t=all&sort=0&g=s
--