From: Cliff on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:10:28 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>Let me guess, Cliff: You don't LIKE rice, right??

Rice fine, just not a complete source of amino acids.
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:21:37 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>I meant to say, that soybean's PQ numbers seem artificially high these days,
>perhaps from the Monsanto Influence.
>I remember the numbers for soybeans being very unimpressive, just don't
>remember how low.
>
>These numbers could have changed, as well, from genetically modified beans,
>as well as Monsanto's tinkering with the USDA database.

Look to research on new rice varieties too. See also "Golden Rice", etc.

http://www.goldenrice.org/Content5-GCGH/GCGH1.html
"The Chinese University of Hong Kong will undertake work to enhance the
protein quality/lysine content of rice."

http://www.grandchallenges.org/ImproveNutrition/Challenges/NutrientRichPlants/Pages/Rice.aspx
"Improve protein quality and content, particularly with regard to lysine"
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:12:19 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>So yeah, lysine IS the limiting amino acid (followed closely by methionine),
>but it's not a BIG limiting amino acid.
>
>Compare this to soybeans (at least 1985 soybeans).
>They have 5x the protein of rice, but the limiting amino acid of soybeans is
>methionine, to the tune of 70%. So soybeans are a lower quality than rice!

Define "quality".

You were advocating a 100% rice diet (plus vitamins I assume), not soybeans.
Had you been advocating 100% soybeans .... <G>.
Or eggs ...
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:12:19 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>The "problem" with rice is the protein *density*, altho as I state earlier,
>this may not actually be a problem, as we are likely way way way
>over-proteinized in our diets to begin with.
>Soy and eggs, meat have 5-7 times the protein *density* of rice (per
>calorie), but qualities that are all on par.

A decent human diet requires more than just protiens IIRC.
Perhaps the carbs in rice or soybeans comes in handy too.

BTW, IIRC soybeans are a tad toxic unless cooked/heated.
We had an extruder.
http://www.feedmachinery.com/glossary/extruder.php
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:12:19 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>Your comments on BV have no meaning.
>What majorly affects usability of a protein IS the completeness,

What if is is lacking a much needed amino acid?
Pretty good for a 100% diet, is is it?

IMHO a 90% "complete" protein would kill you in the end if that was your
only protein source.
Know of anybody that ever proved otherwise? And lived?
--
Cliff