From: bob urz on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> I have been refused on job sites as some of my crew showed up in shorts and
> sneakers, the general contractor required full length pants and hard shoes
> as well as lids
> if you did not have them, you went and bought them before you could get on
> site
> George

A construction site is a whole different deal. When i work with other
trades on an install, hard hats and shoes are required. If your flying
solo on a job site, that another deal. I had to take home my aluminum
ladder (deemed illegal) at an airforce base install and had to get a
fiberglass one (that been awhile back).

OSHA has most General contractors on the defensive on these issues.
Including using GFI's on tools. When OSHA decides to go after the
touring industry, look out. Everybody's world will turn a different color
(maybe closer to UPS brown)

bob
From: Denny Strauser on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:

> I require that venues and promoters sign a document that explains OSHA
> noise(spl) guidelines and that I will follow them and there is NO OPTION,
> and if I can't get co-operation from the band and support of the
> venue/promoter in dealing with cocky bands,.
> I will pull the plug
> this works well as I require payment before event opens dorrs to the public
> i have been the "nice guy" too many years and finally came to understand
> that I am held responsible and I need to do what is required to guarentee
> that I have control over that which I am responsible for
> george

One of the theaters I worked in had an SPL limit that was impossible to
keep with the show I was mixing. The Theater Director took a look at the
house SPL meter & told me I was pushing the envelop. After she left, the
house engineer used a small screwdriver to adjust the trim-pot on his
Radio Shack SPL Meter. I had no problem after that. I like guys like
him. :-)
- Denny
From: Denny Strauser on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> I have been refused on job sites as some of my crew showed up in shorts and
> sneakers, the general contractor required full length pants and hard shoes
> as well as lids
> if you did not have them, you went and bought them before you could get on
> site
> George

I've done college shows where the student crew shows up for load-in
wearing sandals. Not only could they get their toes crushed, but you
cannot get firm footing with sandals. ... crazy ...
- Denny
From: DougD on
In article <-rydnb49Pfe4uybWnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> One (and the venues) should consider checking what OSHA requires, and
>> I'm sure that that lack of a rule would quickly change. Takes only one
>> accident, an a massive (and virtually impossible to defend against)
>> fine from OSHA and the lesson is 'learned'.

The sound and lighting folks have it good, you should see what we have
to go through with both local's and fed's touring lasers... And all because
one 70's act liked to get a little too high and then would scan the audience..
All it takes is one good lawsuit and you're suddenly into something from
"Brazil"..

d.
From: JWald on

----
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> I have been refused on job sites as some of my crew showed up in shorts
>> and sneakers, the general contractor required full length pants and hard
>> shoes as well as lids
>> if you did not have them, you went and bought them before you could get
>> on site
>> George
>
> I've done college shows where the student crew shows up for load-in
> wearing sandals. Not only could they get their toes crushed, but you
> cannot get firm footing with sandals. ... crazy ...
> - Denny--

I've seen house slippers too.

J Wald
--