From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<huqokd$jpm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> ?? The runtime is pre-installed in ME, XP,
> and I'm pretty sure it's there in 2000. And
> since ME there's system file protection.
> System files are not supposed to be replaced
> except by Microsoft.
> There's no reason to ship the runtime unless
> you're targetting Win98.

AFAIK at least the VB runtime isn't handled as a system file (on Win XP it
is >>not<< in 'dllcache'). So it is possible to remove it...

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Mayayana on
| AFAIK at least the VB runtime isn't handled as a system file (on Win XP it
| is >>not<< in 'dllcache'). So it is possible to remove it...

So you ship msvbvm60.dll without any of the
other runtime support files? Even though it's
already there? What would be the point of that
unless your software deals with some very specific
bug that was, say, fixed in SP6? (The SP5 copy
was released in August 2000.)

From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<hurcp2$9cu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> | AFAIK at least the VB runtime isn't handled as a system file (on Win XP
it
> | is >>not<< in 'dllcache'). So it is possible to remove it...
> So you ship msvbvm60.dll without any of the
> other runtime support files? Even though it's
> already there? What would be the point of that
> unless your software deals with some very specific
> bug that was, say, fixed in SP6? (The SP5 copy
> was released in August 2000.)

This is not what I have said. On the contrary I would advise anyone to ship
his VB app >>always<< with >>all<< dependent files that may be
redistributed, no matter on which Windows version the app will be
installed. None of the DLLs, OCXes, etc. which are added regularly to a
setup by e.g. the P&D wizard is a system file, in no version of Windows.
They may be removed, replaced, etc. both on Win 9x and Win NT. A VB app
shipped without the runtime, etc. may run on the target system or may not.
A VB app shipped with the runtime, etc. is almost likely to run on the
target system.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Mayayana on

| This is not what I have said. On the contrary I would advise anyone to
ship
| his VB app >>always<< with >>all<< dependent files that may be
| redistributed, no matter on which Windows version the app will be
| installed. None of the DLLs, OCXes, etc. which are added regularly to a
| setup by e.g. the P&D wizard is a system file, in no version of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831491

The standard runtime package DLLs (Asycfilt.dll,
Oleaut32.dll, etc.) are protected. They are also
added automatically by the PDW. Older copies
are put into the Redist folder in order to make
sure that the PDW *does not redistribute versions
newer than those on systems with Windows File
Protection*.

From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<hurkd2$idr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831491
>
> The standard runtime package DLLs (Asycfilt.dll,
> Oleaut32.dll, etc.) are protected. They are also
> added automatically by the PDW. Older copies
> are put into the Redist folder in order to make
> sure that the PDW *does not redistribute versions
> newer than those on systems with Windows File
> Protection*.

The files mentioned are >>not<< part of VB but of Windows.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de