From: Leo on
I am wondering if anyone bothers bundling the runtime and extra ocxs
(the ones that now come with xp and up)
in their setups these days? I am wondering because I have an
application that requires just the statusbar control out of the common
controls.

From: Andy on
On Jun 8, 12:21 pm, Leo <ttdh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone bothers bundling the runtime and extra ocxs
> (the ones that now come with xp and up)
> in their setups these days? I am wondering because I have an
> application that requires just the statusbar control out of the common
> controls.
>
> --
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
> Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

The answer is yes, the runtimes still occasionally are updated by MS.
So unless you are confident that all the machines on which you are
going to install have the same (or later) ones than your build
machine, you should redistribute.
From: Mayayana on
I haven't redistributed the runtime for
years, but the common controls are not
the same thing. For any extra dependencies
you need to research where it's pre-installed
and then decide whether that affects you, and
whether you can install the file. DO NOT ship
any protected system files that were released
later than the target PC release.

In the case of the runtime I think it's installed
on Win2000+ (XP/ME/Vista/7). That means that
only people with Win95/NT4/98 who have no
VB6 software will need the runtime. At this point
anyone with that configuration will be used to
dealing with missing dependencies. And if you
don't target Win9x then it's of no concern anyway.

(As Andy notes, the runtime has been occasionally
updated, but that doesn't affect your install plans.
Since Win2000, system file protection blocks updating
of system files by anything other than an official
MS patch. So even if you thought it was worth
shipping the latest update -- a dubious logic to
begin with -- you can't. In fact, if you use the PDW
and try to ship late-version protected files to XP it
will go into a reboot loop. PDW will reboot to install
the file, which SFP then blocks, with the result that
the PDW thinks it needs to reboot to install the file...
and so on.)

From: Dee Earley on
On 08/06/2010 12:21, Leo wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone bothers bundling the runtime and extra ocxs
> (the ones that now come with xp and up)
> in their setups these days? I am wondering because I have an application
> that requires just the statusbar control out of the common controls.

I do as they are still needed.
Vista and 7 have their own runtimes but I still support XP.
As for the common controls (the OCXs), these aren't bundled with the OS
at all.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Mayayana on
| I do as they are still needed.
| Vista and 7 have their own runtimes but I still support XP.

?? The runtime is pre-installed in ME, XP,
and I'm pretty sure it's there in 2000. And
since ME there's system file protection.
System files are not supposed to be replaced
except by Microsoft.
There's no reason to ship the runtime unless
you're targetting Win98.