From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<hutc89$j50$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> The PDW does include those files unless one
> removes them. Those files are generally known
> as the runtime files because they're included
> in the VB6 runtime install package.

Wrong!

But you are right in saying that this is not worth to be discussed any
longer...

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Leo on
Thorsten Albers wrote :
> Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
> <hutc89$j50$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
>> The PDW does include those files unless one
>> removes them. Those files are generally known
>> as the runtime files because they're included
>> in the VB6 runtime install package.
>
> Wrong!
>
> But you are right in saying that this is not worth to be discussed any
> longer...

After reading the link Wrong. also VSI warns me that it is including
older versions than those on my machine. I am currently ignoreing those
warnings though.

From: Schmidt on

"Thorsten Albers" <albersSKIP(a)THISuni-freiburg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
> <hus8af$odp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...

[ADVPACK.DLL, ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL,
OLEAUT32.DLL, ...]

> The files listed above are >>not<< known as the "runtime files".
> The runtime file of VB is msvbvm60.dll.

Of course msvbvm60.dll is one of the most important
runtime-files - it's the "language-runtime".

But IMO the term "runtime-files" (note the plural) is
associated by most users here with the "official download"
on the MS-site.

Please read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887

Don't know, how many Devs include this official
Runtime-Installer-Exe into their Inno-Scripts more
or less "directly" (without handling each of the
contained Files on their own) - or offer an optionally
selectable "inno-path" for that.

Others (e.g. Shareware-Authors) prefer to offer (or mention
in their ReadMe) "only a link to it", should the relative
rare case happen, that the runtime-files are not
properly installed on a given machine these days.

You have a point with regards to newer, upcoming
MS-OSes (maybe starting with Win8, maybe not) -
which could lead to a situation, we already
had to deal with in the early Win95/98 days.

But as long as Win8 is not out, we can only speculate
about the "differences to ship" (with regards to the runtimes).

Currently the situation is pretty comfortable IMO.

Olaf

From: ralph on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:51:24 +0200, "Schmidt" <sss(a)online.de> wrote:

>"Thorsten Albers" <albersSKIP(a)THISuni-freiburg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
>> <hus8af$odp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
>
>[ADVPACK.DLL, ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL,
> OLEAUT32.DLL, ...]
>
>> The files listed above are >>not<< known as the "runtime files".
>> The runtime file of VB is msvbvm60.dll.
>
>Of course msvbvm60.dll is one of the most important
>runtime-files - it's the "language-runtime".
>
>But IMO the term "runtime-files" (note the plural) is
>associated by most users here with the "official download"
>on the MS-site.
>
>Please read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887
>
>Don't know, how many Devs include this official
>Runtime-Installer-Exe into their Inno-Scripts more
>or less "directly" (without handling each of the
>contained Files on their own) - or offer an optionally
>selectable "inno-path" for that.
>
>Others (e.g. Shareware-Authors) prefer to offer (or mention
>in their ReadMe) "only a link to it", should the relative
>rare case happen, that the runtime-files are not
>properly installed on a given machine these days.
>
>You have a point with regards to newer, upcoming
>MS-OSes (maybe starting with Win8, maybe not) -
>which could lead to a situation, we already
>had to deal with in the early Win95/98 days.
>
>But as long as Win8 is not out, we can only speculate
>about the "differences to ship" (with regards to the runtimes).
>
>Currently the situation is pretty comfortable IMO.
>
>Olaf

I agree, and will note that you address a specific point that is too
often left out of these discussions, and that is identifying the
"target audience". What I would recommend packaging will vary widely
depending on whether the target is a "known box", something "unknown",
or something in between.

The "always ship everything *my* application may need" strategy makes
a lot of sense until one starts messing with components that may be
shared - it is easy to end up with ownership of unexpected problems.

In practice I tend to punt. I build several packages - the core
components (non-shared) and support packages for shared components
(which often include one of the packages MS provides for that
purpose.)

-ralph
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:03:27 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

> In the case of the runtime I think it's installed
>on Win2000+ (XP/ME/Vista/7).

I haven't tested Windows ME but yes the VB6 runtime is installed as
part of the OS in Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7.

Tony