From: Mayayana on

| The files mentioned are >>not<< part of VB but of Windows.

Yes, obviously. You just said they weren't
system files. You said "None of the DLLs, OCXes,
etc. which are added regularly to a setup by e.g.
the P&D wizard is a system file". But the PDW
does, normally, ship those files: ADVPACK.DLL,
ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL,
OLEPRO32.DLL. That's what my link was all about.

All I'm trying to clarify here is to make sure
that Leo understands he does not need
to ship what are known as the "runtime files" (those
listed above), and that they won't install, anyway,
except on Win98 or earlier.

He could *maybe* ship THE runtime file --
msvbvm60.dll -- but the SP5 version of that file
predates XP. So what would be the point? To get
the SP6 version on those rare XP systems that
haven't had any service packs? (MSVBVM60.DLL is
in the XP service packs.) Even if MSVBVM60.dll
is not protected, and even if there are non-updated
XP systems out there, updating msvbvm60.dll is very
unlikely to make any difference one way or the other.
In fact, the SP6 readme doesn't mention *any*
specific bugfixes in that version.

But you're going to tell people they should ship
that file anyway because someone, somewhere
could have removed their copy? It seems to me
you're only causing more confusion than help
with that advice.

From: Leo on
Mayayana explained :
>> The files mentioned are >>not<< part of VB but of Windows.
>>

> Yes, obviously. You just said they weren't
> system files. You said "None of the DLLs, OCXes,
> etc. which are added regularly to a setup by e.g.
> the P&D wizard is a system file". But the PDW
> does, normally, ship those files: ADVPACK.DLL,
> ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL,
> OLEPRO32.DLL. That's what my link was all about.
>
> All I'm trying to clarify here is to make sure
> that Leo understands he does not need
> to ship what are known as the "runtime files" (those
> listed above), and that they won't install, anyway,
> except on Win98 or earlier.
>
> He could *maybe* ship THE runtime file --
> msvbvm60.dll -- but the SP5 version of that file
> predates XP. So what would be the point? To get
> the SP6 version on those rare XP systems that
> haven't had any service packs? (MSVBVM60.DLL is
> in the XP service packs.) Even if MSVBVM60.dll
> is not protected, and even if there are non-updated
> XP systems out there, updating msvbvm60.dll is very
> unlikely to make any difference one way or the other.
> In fact, the SP6 readme doesn't mention *any*
> specific bugfixes in that version.
>
> But you're going to tell people they should ship
> that file anyway because someone, somewhere
> could have removed their copy? It seems to me
> you're only causing more confusion than help
> with that advice.

So no need to ship the runtime. What about the MS ocxs that are
redistributable?

From: Mayayana on
| So no need to ship the runtime. What about the MS ocxs that are
| redistributable?

That's different. You should probably
ship any of those that you're using. If it
were me I'd check into each one, though,
just to make sure you've got the right files,
the right versions, and that there are no
special issues with particular ones.

For instance, if you ship richtx32.ocx on
Win9x (RichTextBox) then riched32.dll
goes with it. But on WinNT riched32.dll
does not go with it.

From: Thorsten Albers on
Mayayana <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<hus8af$odp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>...
> Yes, obviously. You just said they weren't
> system files. You said "None of the DLLs, OCXes,
> etc. which are added regularly to a setup by e.g.
> the P&D wizard is a system file". But the PDW
> does, normally, ship those files: ADVPACK.DLL,
> ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL,
> OLEPRO32.DLL. That's what my link was all about.

Of course this was said by me within the context of this thread named
"Runtime and extra ocxs" (cmp. also "at least the VB runtime isn't handled
as a system file").

> All I'm trying to clarify here is to make sure
> that Leo understands he does not need
> to ship what are known as the "runtime files" (those
> listed above), and that they won't install, anyway,
> except on Win98 or earlier.

The files listed above are >>not<< known as the "runtime files". The
runtime file of VB is msvbvm60.dll. The files listed above are Windows
system files for which the P&D wizard adds possibly updated versions to the
setup.

> He could *maybe* ship THE runtime file --
> msvbvm60.dll -- but the SP5 version of that file
> predates XP. So what would be the point?

Because msvbvm60.dll >>may be/have been removed<< from the system without
causing the system not working anymore. It isn't a file necessary for
Windows to run. And if removed it will not be restored from the dllcache
(at least on Win XP) since it isn't in the dllcache.
In fact there are people who like to keep their system clean an remove all
files not necessary for the system to run.

> But you're going to tell people they should ship
> that file anyway because someone, somewhere
> could have removed their copy? It seems to me
> you're only causing more confusion than help
> with that advice.

A good VB application should have a setup, and a good VB application setup
should contain any file which the application needs to run, and which may
be redistributed. I am not able to see how this could be confusing for
anyone.
On the contrary I think it may be confusing for others if they are told
that on some version of Windows they may exclude some files and on others
they may not. And to tell them that all these files are system files and
therefore are protected by the system file protection is not correct.

BTW: It is almost for sure that in the near future Windows will not be
shipped any longer with files which are (very) out-dated, and which are not
needed for any part of Windows to work. Therefore it can be very usefull to
add to the setup >all< files needed for the app to work.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de
From: Mayayana on

| The files listed above are >>not<< known as the "runtime files". The
| runtime file of VB is msvbvm60.dll. The files listed above are Windows
| system files for which the P&D wizard adds possibly updated versions to
the
| setup.

I don't see any point in continuing to
debate this in circles. If you want to ship
msvbvm60.dll to deal with people who may
have deleted it, that's up to you.

But on this one point you are simply wrong
and it's potentially confusing.
The PDW does include those files unless one
removes them. Those files are generally known
as the runtime files because they're included
in the VB6 runtime install package. (Do you
really feel *that* distinction needs to be debated?!)

But the PDW does NOT add "possibly updated
versions". Since VB SP4 those files have been
added to the Redist folder. Old versions were
deliberately put there so that a PDW setup will
never try to install any of those files on a
post-98 system. If updated versions are shipped
they cannot be installed on systems with SFP and
the PDW will go into a loop, rebooting to install
them over and over again while SFP puts back the
pre-existing version, over and over again. So unless
one is supporting Win98, shipping the "runtime files"
is at best a waste and at worst a risk of a problematic
install. ...It's all in the page that I linked. Please
at least read that first before refuting the above
statement.

* SFP = System File Protection, later renamed to
Windows File Protection