From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, Arno!
You wrote on 24 Feb 2006 12:35:54 GMT:

Thanks for the interpretation and advice. As noted, drive 3 is a RAID array
consisting of 2 identical Maxtor drives (RAID0). Best I can tell only one
drive (1/2 of the capacity) is being reported so I'm not sure what the smart
data source is. Guess if it fails I will have to separate them and test them
as non-raid. May do that before they fail by booting on other
drive/partition.

One other question - how does on run a long SMART test?

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com

??>> Folks,

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello, Arno!
> You wrote on 24 Feb 2006 12:35:54 GMT:

> Thanks for the interpretation and advice. As noted, drive 3 is a RAID array
> consisting of 2 identical Maxtor drives (RAID0). Best I can tell only one
> drive (1/2 of the capacity) is being reported so I'm not sure what the smart
> data source is.

Good question. Depends on the controller, I guess.

> Guess if it fails I will have to separate them and test them
> as non-raid. May do that before they fail by booting on other
> drive/partition.

You should do that as soon as possible. You can e.g. have them as
single disk on an IDE controller and use a Knoppix CD to boot. The
SMART tool there is smartctl (on the commandline).

> One other question - how does on run a long SMART test?

I suse smartctl, which is a Unix tool, but also works under Windows.

For long self-test use the following commandline:

smartctl -t long <device>

Arno
From: Folkert Rienstra on
"Arno Wagner" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:468ctaF9h05qU1(a)individual.net
> Previously Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
>
> > I checked with Everest and HDTune and both give the following, except
> > that HDTune noted all three failed the ID5.
>
> > Data - ID5 Current Worst Threshold Data
> > Drive 1 227 227 63 268
> > Drive 2 100 100 20 1
> > Drive 3 (raid) 1 1 5 1883
>
> O.k., I will try an interpretation. The last column is the "raw" value.
>
> Drive1: 268 reallocated sectors. That is relevant. This may or may not
> be a real problem. You should run a smart long self-test and see whether
> the number changes. If it does the drive has a problem. If not, you
> should keep an eye on it, i.e. check it every few days for some weeks.
> The "normalised value" is 227, which is significantly larger than the
> failed threshold of 63 (larger is better), likely out of a maximum
> of 255, i.e. the attribute has dropped from 255 (perfect) to 227
> (still not necessarily a problem).

268 bad sectors replaced out of millions of spares is absolute peanuts.

> Drive2: 1 reallocated sector. Not an issue at all. The drive is likely
> ok. Why your tool reports a failed is beyond me. Maybe it is just
> paranoid. The "normalised value" is 100, likely out of 100, i.e.
> still perfect. (Some disks use 100 as "best" value, some 255, some
> even mix both.)

> Drive3: 1883 reallocated sectors. Bad. "Normalised value" 1, which
> is below the threshold of 5. This disk actually has a failed smart
> status, i.e. a value is below the threshold. This disk is dying and
> it may alsready be unreadable in some areas.

1883 reallocated sectors out of millions of spares is peanuts.

Not with those absolute numbers. Perhaps they were accumulated during
a very short time and that that had an effect on the Normalized values
decreasing faster. If the problem stops the normalized values may return
to more normal values with time.

> Todo: - Keep an eye on the raw number of reallocated sectors of disk 1
> (the last value in the attribute line) and run a long SMART
> self-test on it.

> - Replace Disk 3 now.

It's a RAID, babble box. Which one?
The numbers are likely faked anyway.

> > 1. Is it possible that a blue screen of death crash (hardware related) could
> > result in this?

> I doubt it.

If the crash coincided with power failures, sure, why not.

> > 2. Is it possibe the drives are all ok but had to do corrections because of
> > this kind of event and could be put back in order by reformatting them?
>
> No. Reformatting does not work that way today.

It does on some.

> A reallocated sector is and stays a reallocated sector.

Nope. Some drives can retest bad sectors and reformat tracks so that
Logical Block Addresses are sequential again.

> There is nothing the user can do about it.

With some drives but not others.

> But these are not defect secotrs. The drive already has mapped the
> logical sector numbers to spare sectors. But as some time the good
> spares run out and the reallocation is the sign of some more fundamental
> problem, that may also kill the disk completely, possibly without
> further warning.

Not with those absolute peanut numbers.

> > 3. If 2. would work, and the backup is an image file (Ghost) would restoring
> > produce the same results?
>
> No. The sectors are allready remapped to good ones.

But it may take care of still pending ones.

From: Rod Speed on
Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote

> I checked with Everest and HDTune and both give the following, except
> that HDTune noted all three failed the ID5.

> Data - ID5 Current Worst Threshold Data

> Drive 1 227 227 63 268
> Drive 2 100 100 20 1
> Drive 3 (raid) 1 1 5 1883

Urk, those are extremely high except for Drive 2 obviously.

> 1. Is it possible that a blue screen of death crash (hardware related)
> could result in this?

Nope.

> 2. Is it possibe the drives are all ok but had to do corrections because
> of this kind of event and could be put back in order by reformatting
> them?

Nope.

> 3. If 2. would work, and the backup is an image file (Ghost) would
> restoring produce the same results?

Nope, the drives have already added those bad
sectors to the bad sector list and they wont be
removed from that by restoring an image now.

What is the brand/model detail of the drives ?

Show the full SMART data for all drives, that may
have some extra useful info like the temperatures too.

From: Colonel Blip on
Following is the full smart info. The drive in question is the 3rd one,
which is actually 2 SATA 80gb Hitachi drives on a Via m/b controller setup
as RAID0.
Here is info on the Hitachi followed by the SMART for all three. The 2
Hitachi drives are identical.

[ HDS722580VLSA80 (VN6B7SCBE7XXPD) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID HDS722580VLSA80
Serial Number VN6B7SCBE7XXPD
Revision V32OA69A
Parameters 155010 cylinders, 16
heads, 63 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 156250000
Buffer 7938 KB (Dual
Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 76294 MB

--------[
SMART ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Maxtor 6Y080P0 (Y25XADLE) ]

03 Spin Up Time 63 224 223 10235 OK:
Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 253 253 336 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 63 227 227 268 OK:
Value is normal
06 Read Channel Margin 100 253 253 0 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 0 253 244 0 OK:
Always passing
08 Seek Time Performance 187 252 243 38093 OK:
Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 199 199 9283 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 157 253 252 0 OK:
Value is normal
0B Calibration Retry Count 223 253 252 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 253 253 363 OK:
Always passing
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 0 253 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 253 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 253 253 40 OK:
Always passing
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 253 252 5349 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 253 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 253 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 253 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 199 199 0 OK:
Always passing

[ MAXTOR 6L080L4 (664224152344) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 20 100 253 0 OK:
Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 20 69 64 3920 OK:
Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 8 99 99 777 OK:
Value is normal
05 Reallocated Sector Count 20 100 100 1 OK:
Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 23 100 93 0 OK:
Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 1 61 61 25725 OK:
Value is normal
0A Spin Retry Count 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
0B Calibration Retry Count 20 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 8 99 99 732 OK:
Value is normal
0D Soft Read Error Rate 23 100 93 0 OK:
Value is normal
C2 Temperature 42 83 77 44 OK:
Value is normal
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 100 31 2098888 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 20 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 20 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 253 0 OK:
Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 195 195 5 OK:
Always passing

[ HDS722580VLSA80 (VN6B7SCBE7XXPD) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 16 91 91 983078 OK:
Value is normal
02 Throughput Performance 50 118 118 414 OK:
Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 24 112 112 11796654 OK:
Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 147 OK:
Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 5 1 1 1883
Pre-Failure: Imminent loss of data is being predicted
07 Seek Error Rate 67 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 20 136 136 31 OK:
Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 99 99 7404 OK:
Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 60 100 100 0 OK:
Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 147 OK:
Always passing
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 50 100 100 430 OK:
Value is normal
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 50 100 100 430 OK:
Value is normal
C2 Temperature 0 183 183 23, 30 OK:
Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 2341 OK:
Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK:
Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 7 OK:
Always passing