From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:57:42 +1100:

I just bit the bullet and disconnected one drive and rebooted. Bios message
gave me 3 choices; power down and fix the drive; destroy the array; or
continue booting. I chose the latter. However, one can not see the drive
when that choice is made.

As it turns out there is a Via Raid tool that comes with the motherboard so
I installed and ran it. It shows one drive in danger of losing data and
which drive in the array so I least I know the culprit in this case.

Since I keep good backups and may just let it run to failure and then go to
warranty repair if it lasts less than warranty time.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com

From: Rod Speed on
Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello, Rod!
> You wrote on Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:57:42 +1100:

> I just bit the bullet and disconnected one drive and rebooted. Bios
> message gave me 3 choices; power down and fix the drive; destroy the
> array; or continue booting. I chose the latter. However, one can not see
> the drive when that choice is made.

OK, you clearly could have destroyed the array since you had
it imaged, run everest on the drives when there is no raid.

> As it turns out there is a Via Raid tool that comes with the
> motherboard so I installed and ran it. It shows one drive in danger of
> losing data and which drive in the array so I least I know the culprit in
> this case.

I'd rather see the SMART data when you have a situation
where two drives appear to have gone bad at the same
time, one in the RAID and one not in the RAID.

Thats a bit suspicious, tho its certainly possible and one of the
bads is a maxtor which dont like running inadequately cooled.

> Since I keep good backups and may just let it run to failure and then go
> to warranty repair if it lasts less than warranty time.

I wouldnt myself with the drive in a raid0 and one
other drive looking rather dubious with lots of
reallocated sectors and it being a maxtor.

> Thanks,

Thanks for the washup, too rare in my opinion.

From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:57:42 +1100:

One final point (I think <g>) on this. I created a BartPE boot and gave this
a try. Unfortunately neither drive in the array is recognized.

From: Rod Speed on
Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello, Rod!
> You wrote on Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:57:42 +1100:
>
> One final point (I think <g>) on this. I created a BartPE boot and
> gave this a try. Unfortunately neither drive in the array is recognized.

OK, thanks for that feedback.