From: Rod Speed on
Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to(a)myweb.nl> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>> The data itself looks fine.

> Actually, it looks supect.

No it doesnt.

> Especially on the part of Raw Read Error Rate
> and Hardware ECC Recovered.

Not at all unusual with some manufacturer's drives that are fine and thats
only seen with the one drive with only a single reallocated sector too.

[your pathetic excuse for bullshit flushed where it belongs]

From: Rod Speed on
Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote

> "break the raid" - can one simply disconnect one of the SATA drives and
> reboot and the remaining drive show up as normal (assumes OS on different
> drive altogether).

Yes, tho I'd personally boot a BART PE CD with Everest
on it just so the raid doesnt start chucking a wobbly about
one of the raid drives being missing etc.

From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, Arno!
You wrote on 25 Feb 2006 16:08:13 GMT:

AW> You should. That is the point of RAID1, after all. If this does not
AW> wotk, you should throw away the controller and get one that works.

AW> And this should still work with the OS on the RAID array as well.
AW> The only possible problem I see with OS on the array is that if
AW> you remove one drive from the RAID and connect it to a regular
AW> controller, your BIOS could decide to boot from the single
AW> drive instead of from the (degraded, but functionsl) RAID array.

They are RAID0, not RAID1. Also, my system can boot off of 3 different
partitions each containing winxp; 2 of them are on the raid drives but the
3rd once is on my root IDE drive so it should boot fine. I'm just not sure
how it will deal with ONE drive on the RAID0 controller, whether it will
even see it or if it will somehow put garbage on the drive.

The more I think about this, since I regularly back up my array, even if
data is destroyed on the drive in the test I have full image backups to
restore it.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com

From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:57:42 +1100:

Good thought. Can't recall if I've already created one some time back. If
not, easy enuf to do.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:46bnlaFadilbU1(a)individual.net
> Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote
>
> > "break the raid" - can one simply disconnect one of the SATA drives and
> > reboot and the remaining drive show up as normal (assumes OS on different
> > drive altogether).
>
> Yes, tho I'd personally boot a BART PE CD with Everest
> on it just so the raid doesnt start chucking a wobbly about
> one of the raid drives being missing etc.

It will do that anyway if it's hardware/firmware RAID, clueless.

> > > Edited, I had a brain fart.

More than one, so it appears.