From: Colonel Blip on
Hello, All!

I checked the health of my drives, 2 SATA (Raid0), and 2 IDE drives. All of
them are showing ID5 reallocated sector count failures. I can understand one
showing this but all of them?? Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks,
Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com

From: Rod Speed on
Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote

> I checked the health of my drives, 2 SATA (Raid0), and 2 IDE drives. All
> of them are showing ID5 reallocated sector count failures. I can
> understand one showing this but all of them?? Any ideas what could cause
> this?

Some drives like some maxtors appear to deliberately ship them
that way and let the initial use sort out the marginal sectors that way.

Running the drives stinking hot can get that result too.

Presumably running the drives on a marginal power
supply can too, tho I havent actually seen that happen.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello, All!

> I checked the health of my drives, 2 SATA (Raid0), and 2 IDE drives. All of
> them are showing ID5 reallocated sector count failures. I can understand one
> showing this but all of them?? Any ideas what could cause this?

A bad PSU can have this effect. Overheating and mechanical shock
or vibration during operation can also cause this. There are
other potential problems that could affect all drives.

Oh, and of course the software may be misreporting things. What
are the raw reallocated count values?

Arno

From: Colonel Blip on
Folks,

I checked with Everest and HDTune and both give the following, except that
HDTune noted all three failed the ID5.

Data - ID5 Current Worst Threshold
Data

Drive 1 227 227 63
268
Drive 2 100 100 20
1
Drive 3 (raid) 1 1 5
1883

1. Is it possible that a blue screen of death crash (hardware related) could
result in this?

2. Is it possibe the drives are all ok but had to do corrections because of
this kind of event and could be put back in order by reformatting them?

3. If 2. would work, and the backup is an image file (Ghost) would restoring
produce the same results?

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Colonel Blip <colonelblip.no.spam.please(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Folks,

> I checked with Everest and HDTune and both give the following, except that
> HDTune noted all three failed the ID5.

> Data - ID5 Current Worst Threshold Data
> Drive 1 227 227 63 268
> Drive 2 100 100 20 1
> Drive 3 (raid) 1 1 5 1883

O.k., I will try an interpretation. The last column is the "raw"
value.

Drive1: 268 reallocated sectors. That is relevant. This may or may not be
a real problem. You should run a smart long self-test and see whether the
number changes. If it does the drive has a problem. If not, you
should keep an eye on it, i.e. check it every few days for some weeks.
The "normalised value" is 227, which is significantly larger than the
failed threshold of 63 (larger is better), likely out of a maximum
of 255, i.e. the attribute has dropped from 255 (perfect) to 227
(still not necessarily a problem).

Drive2: 1 reallocated sector. Not an issue at all. The drive is likely
ok. Why your tool reports a failed is beyond me. Maybe it is just
paranoid. The "normalised value" is 100, likely out of 100, i.e.
still perfect. (Some disks use 100 as "best" value, some 255, some
even mix both.)

Drive3: 1883 reallocated sectors. Bad. "Normalised value" 1, which
is below the threshold of 5. This disk actually has a failed smart
status, i.e. a value is below the threshold. This disk is dying and
it may alsready be unreadable in some areas.

dying.

Todo: - Keep an eye on the raw number of reallocated sectors of disk 1
(the last value in the attribute line) and run a long SMART
self-test on it.
- Replace Disk 3 now.

> 1. Is it possible that a blue screen of death crash (hardware related) could
> result in this?

I doubt it.

> 2. Is it possibe the drives are all ok but had to do corrections because of
> this kind of event and could be put back in order by reformatting them?

No. Reformatting does not work that way today. A reallocated sector is
and stays a reallocated sector. There is nothing the user can do about
it. But these are not defect secotrs. The drive already has mapped the
logical sector numbers to spare sectors. But as some time the good
spares run out and the reallocation is the sign of some more fundamental
problem, that may also kill the disk completely, possibly without
further warning.

> 3. If 2. would work, and the backup is an image file (Ghost) would restoring
> produce the same results?

No. The sectors are allready remapped to good ones.

Arno