From: kj [SBS MVP] on
Alright, let's try the links again cause the last post got whacked out.

Technet group policy preferences;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731892(WS.10).aspx

--

And the technet forum for SBS;

--
Please visit Microsoft SBS Technet Forum;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

--
/kj

kj [SBS MVP] wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Hi KJ,
>>
>> Yes, I've found it somewhat unpredictable too..
>
> Well it is predicatble, but may not be desireable when the user and
> the computer are in different OU's and there are user policy
> settings. Loopbacks can result in predictable, but unintended results.
>

>> Where's a good resource on the method which you are describing ?
>
> Group policy *preferences* in technet make for a good read. You need
> to use a Win7 (Vista, or 2008+) GPO managment and then explore the
> registery settings. HKCU is a workable registery setting and where
> the Screen Saver settings are needed. The next tidbit is the "item
> level targeting" feature of preferences. Basically you are targeting
> the preference settings at one of the many filterable objects - kinda
> like a WMI filter without the overhead and difficulty. Item level
> targeting should also be covered at least to some degree in the
> Technet Article. In this case you would item level target a computer
> account or a security group with the computer account as a group
> member.
>>
>> Also...what's all this about needing to jump ship to a new board ?
>

> Newsgroups are closing down. Thought they had already. You will want
> to switch over to the forums. For SBS see my sig line below.

/kj

From: Jim on
This is SBS 2003... first thing I read was that this was new to Windows
Server 2008..

Does it apply to 2003 also ?

Looks good though..

Jim.

From: Steve Foster on
Jim wrote:

> This is SBS 2003... first thing I read was that this was new to
> Windows Server 2008..
>
> Does it apply to 2003 also ?
>
> Looks good though..

GP Preferences can be used in a Windows Server 2003 environment, as
long as you have at least *one* Vista/7/WS2008 (or later) box in there
somewhere.

You need that because those are the OSs that support creation and
management of GPP settings (ie you cannot *administer* GPP from an
SBS2003 box).

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Jim on
Hi Steve,

Just checking, I don't think so..

Is there any mileage in still trying to do this in GPMC in SBS 2003 ?

We can move the PC in question into a new OU, that wouldn't be a problem.

I was thinking along the lines of returning the SBS Client Computers GPO
back to normal, ie removing the screensaver settings and leaving this GPO
alone.

Making a new 'Screensaver Policy' GPO and just creating the settings
required for the bulk of the domain PC's in there.

Then making a new OU for the PC in question that requires different
screensaver settings to the others.

Move the PC into this OU.

Then create and link another GPO to this OU called 'Different Screensaver
Policy' GPO with the different required screensaver settings..

Then enable loopback processing on this 'Different Screensaver Policy' GPO.

The I need to edit the scope or delagates on this GPO don't I ?

This is where I'm getting a bit confused..

I gather I need to remove Authenticated Users and somehow add the particular
PC ?

Do I add the PC as such or make a security group and put the PC in it and
then add the security group ?

I think this is where things are getting mixed up.

Jim.

From: kj [SBS MVP] on
Jim wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Just checking, I don't think so..
>
> Is there any mileage in still trying to do this in GPMC in SBS 2003 ?

As Steve said, Preferences need to be done in an uplevel GPMC.

Because the screen saver settings are user policies they normally apply with
out regard to what computer the user loggs on to.

So, to have one computer get special settings from all users the non GP
preference method is a loopback policy applied to the computer. That's what
was described earlier..(Steve?) If you don't have and can't get an up level
client then that's the approach that will be needed.

--
/kj

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5