From: Jim on
We have modified one of the policy setting on the Small Business Server
Client Computer policy to modify the screensaver setting, which is a user
configuration setting.

However we want to exclude one particular PC, which is based in a reception
area, a static menu display screen, from this policy setting or if need be
the whole policy.

What is the best way of dealing with this ?

From: Jim on
Probably set up another GP which reverses this setting ("disabled") or
applies a different setting; link this to the correct OU (probably SBS
Computers?) and apply policy filtering so it's only applied to that
computer account.

From: Jim on
Had a bit of a go at this...beginning to lose the will to live etc etc..

Followed some advice from elsewhere.

Created a new security group 'Screensaver Disabled' and added the particular
machine 'PC4' which we need to exclude the screensaver settings
from..rebooted PC4.

I can see that the PC4 is now listed as a member of this security group..

Next up created a new GPO called 'No Screensaver' and linked it to:

My Business>Computers>SBSComputers OU which contains the PC in question,
PC4, along with all the other PC's obviously..

Then on this particular GPO 'No Screensaver' removed the 'Authenticated
Users ' from the Delegation tab and added the security group 'Screensaver
Disabled'

Then edit the GPO 'No Screensaver' to enable 'Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policies\User group
policy loopback processing mode'
and then set it to 'Replace'

The edit the 'No Screensaver' GPO and 'Disable' the screensaver..

Update everything ans restart PC4...

Hmm not working...still has screensaver enabled with settings as modified in
SBS Client Computers GPO..ie Enabled, sspipes.scr and 90 seconds.

Gpresult on PC4 returns info under the Computer policies section saying that
'No Screensaver' policy was not applied because it is Empty ???

Obviously took a wrong turn somewhere..

Anyone got any better ideas as to how to do this ?

Just want to have screensaver policy which applies to all PC's on the SBS
domain apart from an individual machines which are excluded.
This needs to be machine based as opposed to user based though I am aware
that this is a user policy setting as such

From: Jim on
Might security filtering be a better bet ?

Create a seperate GPO for the screensaver settings and then exlude the
particular PC through security filtering on that GPO ?

From: Kerry Brown on
That should work.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Jim" <Jim(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Might security filtering be a better bet ?
>
> Create a seperate GPO for the screensaver settings and then exlude the
> particular PC through security filtering on that GPO ?
>

> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> Had a bit of a go at this...beginning to lose the will to live etc etc..
>>
>> Followed some advice from elsewhere.
>>
>> Created a new security group 'Screensaver Disabled' and added the
>> particular
>> machine 'PC4' which we need to exclude the screensaver settings
>> from..rebooted PC4.
>>
>> I can see that the PC4 is now listed as a member of this security group..
>>
>> Next up created a new GPO called 'No Screensaver' and linked it to:
>>
>> My Business>Computers>SBSComputers OU which contains the PC in question,
>> PC4, along with all the other PC's obviously..
>>
>> Then on this particular GPO 'No Screensaver' removed the 'Authenticated
>> Users ' from the Delegation tab and added the security group 'Screensaver
>> Disabled'
>>
>> Then edit the GPO 'No Screensaver' to enable 'Computer
>> Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policies\User group
>> policy loopback processing mode'
>> and then set it to 'Replace'
>>
>> The edit the 'No Screensaver' GPO and 'Disable' the screensaver..
>>
>> Update everything ans restart PC4...
>>
>> Hmm not working...still has screensaver enabled with settings as modified
>> in
>> SBS Client Computers GPO..ie Enabled, sspipes.scr and 90 seconds.
>>
>> Gpresult on PC4 returns info under the Computer policies section saying
>> that
>> 'No Screensaver' policy was not applied because it is Empty ???
>>
>> Obviously took a wrong turn somewhere..
>>
>> Anyone got any better ideas as to how to do this ?
>>
>> Just want to have screensaver policy which applies to all PC's on the SBS
>> domain apart from an individual machines which are excluded.
>> This needs to be machine based as opposed to user based though I am aware
>> that this is a user policy setting as such
>>

>> "Jim" wrote:
>>
>> > Probably set up another GP which reverses this setting ("disabled") or
>> > applies a different setting; link this to the correct OU (probably SBS
>> > Computers?) and apply policy filtering so it's only applied to that
>> > computer account.

>> > .
>> >
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5