From: Steve Foster on
Jim wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Just checking, I don't think so..
>
> Is there any mileage in still trying to do this in GPMC in SBS 2003 ?

The whole point of Group Policy Preferences is to do a bunch of stuff
that's really hard in GPO, as well as allowing for optional choices (eg
you can use GPP to set up defaults, but still allow users to tweak [if
you wish]).

If you really want to do this via GPO, don't set it up on computers at
all. Use a designated, locked-down account for the reception PC
(something you should be doing anyway), and build the GPO to apply to
that *user*.

You really don't want to get into loopback processing when there are
other simpler methods.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Kerry Brown on
I don't know why everyone is averse to loopback processing. It's a very
effective way to lockdown public computers. I've used it in the exact
situation the OP describes as well as in libraries, youth centers, etc. Yes,
the first time you use it, it can be tricky to figure out. Once you figure
it out it's not that complicated and allows you to lock down a computer or
group of computers in a very granular manner.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

From: Jim on
OK Kerry, I'll give it one last shot..

Where am I going wrong then ?

I've a feeling it's down to the permissions on the policy, or perhaps the
way I'm going about it..

What steps would you take to try and acheive what I am looking to do ?

Jim.

From: Jim on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287

I've read this a couple of times and understand that this is partly what I
need, but it's a bit breif, I'm wondering if there are any other resources
which may go into what I'm trying to do in a bit more detail.

From: Jim on
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/File_Servers/Active_Directory/A_1876-Understanding-Group-Policy-Loopback-Processing.html

Getting closer...?

"Jim" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287
>
> I've read this a couple of times and understand that this is partly what I
> need, but it's a bit breif, I'm wondering if there are any other resources
> which may go into what I'm trying to do in a bit more detail.
>

> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > OK Kerry, I'll give it one last shot..
> >
> > Where am I going wrong then ?
> >
> > I've a feeling it's down to the permissions on the policy, or perhaps the
> > way I'm going about it..
> >
> > What steps would you take to try and acheive what I am looking to do ?
> >
> > Jim.
> >

> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know why everyone is averse to loopback processing. It's a very
> > > effective way to lockdown public computers. I've used it in the exact
> > > situation the OP describes as well as in libraries, youth centers, etc. Yes,
> > > the first time you use it, it can be tricky to figure out. Once you figure
> > > it out it's not that complicated and allows you to lock down a computer or
> > > group of computers in a very granular manner.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kerry Brown
> > > MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> > > http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
> > >

> > > "Steve Foster" <stevefoster(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > > .

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: SBS2008 SP2