From: Paul Thompson on
On 07/19/2010 09:22 AM, houghi wrote:
> Mexx Headroooommm wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm very exciting about the new 11.3 but I miss my favourite tool called
>> "scpm". Who can help me where I can find or exist the another tool with
>> the same functionality?
>
> If you use it for you wifi, use NetworkManager. If you use KDE, GNOME or
> LXDE, it is in the taskbar. At least if you work by NetworkManager and
> not by standard ipup.
>
> YaST, Network Devices, Network Settings, Global Options, User Controlled
> with NetworkManager.
>
> There should be an icon in the taskbar that makes it able to edit
> everything. It makes it possible to set several connections as 'Auto',
> so that at work, at home and at your local pub, it will make an automagc
> connection. If that is not what you want, please eleaborate what you
> want and what you used from SCPM as at least I have no idea what else it
> could be used for.
>
> houghi

I'm using 11.2 X64 on an HP notebook, wireless works well, but when I
run KNetworkManager it shows up in the taskbar with a blue icon telling
me "Network Management Disabled". How do I enable it?

Thanks
Paul

From: mjt on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:40:23 +0200
Mexx Headroooommm <voivui(a)kaffeeschluerfer.com> wrote:

> »mjt« schrieb (wrote) am (on) 19.07.2010 18:25
> > People have reported installing the 11.2 scpm packages
> > in 11.3 and it works fine.
>
> really? what's neccessary for ? which respositories, packages ? ....do
> you have more information about that?

I'm guessing "yast2-profile-manager" and "sumf" found in 11.2 Oss

--
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) -

From: mjt on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:20:11 -0500
Paul Thompson <pault(a)hiwaay.net> wrote:

> 'm using 11.2 X64 on an HP notebook, wireless works well, but when I
> run KNetworkManager it shows up in the taskbar with a blue icon
> telling me "Network Management Disabled". How do I enable it?

IIRC, edit the file NetworkManager.state, which should
be found in /var/lib/NetworkManager, and change the
NetworkingEnabled=false to NetworkingEnabled=true.

--
The rhino is a homely beast,
For human eyes he's not a feast.

From: Paul Thompson on
On 07/20/2010 09:51 AM, mjt wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:20:11 -0500
> Paul Thompson <pault(a)hiwaay.net> wrote:
>
>> 'm using 11.2 X64 on an HP notebook, wireless works well, but when I
>> run KNetworkManager it shows up in the taskbar with a blue icon
>> telling me "Network Management Disabled". How do I enable it?
>
> IIRC, edit the file NetworkManager.state, which should
> be found in /var/lib/NetworkManager, and change the
> NetworkingEnabled=false to NetworkingEnabled=true.

No /var/lib/NetworkManager, and searched the hard drive for
NetworkManager.state - no joy.

Thanks

From: Paul Thompson on
On 07/20/2010 11:21 AM, houghi wrote:
> Paul Thompson wrote:
>> I'm using 11.2 X64 on an HP notebook, wireless works well, but when I
>> run KNetworkManager it shows up in the taskbar with a blue icon telling
>> me "Network Management Disabled". How do I enable it?
>
> Yast, Network Devices, Network Settings. There you take the first tab
> "Global Options" and select "User Controlled with Network Settings".
>
> If for some reason you are unable to connect or get it configured, just
> set it back to 'Traditional Method with ifup' and all will be well
> again.
>
> There is one condition. The user needs to be logged in. So if you do a
> remote restart and the user is not on auto-login, you won't have any
> access to that machine.
>
> So ideal for portables that need a connection in at least two places.,
> not so ideal for fixed machines and portables that are used only in one
> location.
>
> houghi

Working, thanks all.