From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 11:24, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

<snip>

> Unfortunatly not. I am still not sure what SCPM does. I looked and I do
> not have that F3 option. What does this option do? From what I read from
> http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/119875 all that SCPM does is exactly
> what NetworkManager.
> There is a CLI NetworkManager as well.
>
> What I am trying to figure out if there are things that could be done
> with SCPM which could not be done with NetworkManager. From what I see
> at this moment and never have worked with SCPM, i am guessing that
> NetworkManager does the same, but is more flexible.

From the snippets I've read, SCPM does more than just keep profiles for
the network configuration. It allows for hardware to be configured
differently, so different printer settings, sound settings, monitor
setting(?) which could[0] be selected at boot time using the F3 option
inside grub.

[0] Or would do, but there was some mention on the Factory mailing list
of that option being removed from grub some time before SCPM was
dropped.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: Mexx Headroooommm on
�David Bolt� schrieb (wrote) am (on) 22.07.2010 12:43
> From the snippets I've read, SCPM does more than just keep profiles for
> the network configuration. It allows for hardware to be configured
> differently, so different printer settings, sound settings, monitor
> setting(?) which could[0] be selected at boot time using the F3 option
> inside grub.

David,

yep that's what I tried to explain... thx for helping in this matter.
Well I have to say that I switched from 11.1 to 11.3.

And as you wrote, they dropped it without given any reason for. I'm just
wondering.

greets
-Markus
From: mjt on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:24:46 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> Unfortunatly not. I am still not sure what SCPM does.

SCPM and NetworkManager share functionality, which is
related to network management. SCPM and NetworkManager
do not work in parallel (at least my experience with SLED).

SCPM is used to restore a system with a specific setup, the
idea being that a system would have more than one setup
(otherwise, why use it). SCPM goes beyond network setup.

SCPM is obviously engineered with an emphasis on portable
computers, such as laptops - traveling consultants and
sysadmins are popular users of SCPM.

A person might have 2 or 3+ different work environments
they need their system to be configured for. Printers
will be different, power-settings while on the road or
if plugged in to the wall, different time-zones if
you're a traveler between static destinations, and
different graphical setups (maybe you're in sales and
do projected presentations for groups of people), and
changing the keyboard mapping, and you can even define
partitions used.

SCPM is about choosing a defined "system configuration",
not just changing the "network configuration".

If you have 11.2 (or prior version) installed, why not
fire it up and run through a Profile configuration to
see what's configurable :)

--
A new dramatist of the absurd
Has a voice that will shortly be heard.