From: Sebastian G. on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:

>> If you have Windows XP: the Windows-Firewall.
>
> But that can't check outgoing programs?

Why should it? Aside from passively opening ports, where this is quite
reasonable.

> And won't add anything to the HW FW at all, or?

Hm? It's a quite good host-based packet filter, which is a quite good
addition to the HW FW that you most likely don't have at all.

> BTW: Found an even worse network hog. The avast! Web Shield
> Turned it off and the speed raised from 4000 to 4600

Worse? Seems like it did its job quite well: hogging the network.

> Still can't understand why my desktop PC maxes at 4600
> (even with ALL AV and FW software uninstalled) when my
> older slower laptop easily gets 5000. What could it be?

Ehm... because you totally messed it up with the mentioned software? Because
we can't assume that it properly uninstalled?
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> Ehm... because you totally messed it up with the mentioned software? Because
> we can't assume that it properly uninstalled?

Oh it's gone, no traces (even searched for and deleted all ZoneLab
files, easy to find). So I don't really think that is the problem.

Need to try a new network cable, and maybe another network card .-)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Found IT !!!!

I compared all settings on the two computers, and noticed some
services running on mine and not on the other.

So I tested one at a time, and when I disabled the "DNS Client" (local
caching of DNS entries) the speed went from 4600 and up to 4970 kpbs.

But why should the DNS client have this huge bad impact on the speed?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: mak on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:
> Found IT !!!!
>
> So I tested one at a time, and when I disabled the "DNS Client" (local
> caching of DNS entries) the speed went from 4600 and up to 4970 kpbs.

makes no sense,
enabled local dns cache should obviously speed up your surfing experience.
i think that was a coincidence, keep testing......

From: goarilla "kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT on
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> Lars-Erik �sterud <.@.> wrote:
>>> If you have Windows XP: the Windows-Firewall.
>> But that can't check outgoing programs?
>
> Of course not. That would be pointless anyway.

why ?