From: John Adams on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> Going through a large HOSTS file is essentially implemented as a linear
> list search. One could do better, but it's not optimized for the
> scenario BECAUSE ONLY IDIOTS ABUSE THE HOSTS FILE FOR SOMETHING THAT
> SHOULD BE DONE WITHIN THE APPLICATION OR AT LEAST AT A PROPER PACKET
> FILTER.

I do it at the application level too but the hosts file is a fallback.
What is a "proper" packet filter? Being an idiot is more fun than being
an arrogant kraut fuckwit.
From: Sebastian G. on
John Adams wrote:

> Sebastian G. wrote:
>> It simply
>> doesn't work.
>
> Works for me. I get loads of ads blocked thanks to my hosts file. It's
> not just to help block malware.

Strange, I do that at my webbrowser without requiring any DNS manipulation
and/or other administrative tasks, without clooging the logfile of my
webserver running at 127.0.0.1, and due to regular expressions it's surely
more effective. Even further, other applications are not influenced.

BTW, it doesn't work well for ads for the same reason why it doesn't work
for malware: DNS wildcards.
From: Sebastian G. on
John Adams wrote:

> I do it at the application level too but the hosts file is a fallback.

What part of the word "abuse" didn't you understand?

> What is a "proper" packet filter?

One that allows filtering by netranges and resolves DNS names?
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
John Adams <me(a)none.invalid> wrote:
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Of course not. That would be pointless anyway.
>
> If it's completely pointless then why did Mircosoft implement the
> ability to block outgoing progs in Vista?

Popular demand.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
John Adams wrote:

> Works for me. I get loads of ads blocked thanks to my hosts file. It's
> not just to help block malware.

For ad-blocking nothing beats WebWasher.
And it works as a proxy (the right way?)
Preventing ads from ever beeing downloaded
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605