From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> BTW, it doesn't work well for ads for the same reason why it doesn't work
> for malware: DNS wildcards.

Then again. Filters like WebWasher filter on PARTS of the URL. Neat.
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: Sebastian G. on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:

> For ad-blocking nothing beats WebWasher.

With respect to interfering with proper functionality? I'd actually believe you.

> And it works as a proxy (the right way?)

The worst way, since it must use store & forward, therefore breaks
pipelining. The mentioned software products also breaks compression and E-Tag.

> Preventing ads from ever being downloaded

Uh, oh, that's really special. Unless you consider almost any
content-blocking extension for the Mozilla platform under the sun.
From: Sebastian G. on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:

> Sebastian G. wrote:
>
>> BTW, it doesn't work well for ads for the same reason why it doesn't work
>> for malware: DNS wildcards.
>
> Then again. Filters like WebWasher filter on PARTS of the URL. Neat.

Adblock Plus doesn't even need any additional programs, and it has a huge
performance advantage due to the available DOM content.
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> Adblock Plus doesn't even need any additional programs, and it has a huge
> performance advantage due to the available DOM content.

But is it as customisable as WebWasher (parts of URLs, own list,
exceptions)? And does it work both with IE6, IE7, FF and Opera?

Where can I find more info (to test and compare)
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> Uh, oh, that's really special. Unless you consider almost any
> content-blocking extension for the Mozilla platform under the sun.

Sadly I have to use IE6 and IE7 for things (bad applications).
And even though I do that using IE-TAB, it uses the IE enginge.
Will AdBlock work then? How does it filter? Does it remove
images etc before they are fetched (like WebWasher). I like
the speedup not having to waste bandwith on junk....

I guess WebWsher works like this

1) Fetches HTML-code for page
2) Removes all things filters find
3) Forwards HTML-code to browser
4) Browser fetches IMG tags that still are in the code

Of course a litt delay since it need to fetch the HTML, parse it, and
send it to the browser, but it's not noticable at all on my PCs...

How does AdBlock work in comparison, can you explain a bit more?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605