From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
mak wrote:

> enabled local dns cache should obviously speed up your surfing experience.
> i think that was a coincidence, keep testing......

Well, if you access the SAME server it could. But for new DNS
addresses it would take (teoretically) a bit longer (must check local
DND first).

Anyway, forund out that DNC client is slower than NO DNS client if
there are many entries in the HOSTS file for some reason :-/
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: Sebastian G. on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:

> Anyway, forund out that DNC client is slower than NO DNS client if
> there are many entries in the HOSTS file for some reason :-/

For some reason? The HOSTS file normally contains only one entry...
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
> > Anyway, forund out that DNC client is slower than NO DNS client if
> > there are many entries in the HOSTS file for some reason :-/
>
> For some reason? The HOSTS file normally contains only one entry...

Yep, but why does a HUGE hosts file cause a slowdown only when DNS
Client is running, not without? One should think that the hosts file
needed to be parsed even when the DNC Client is not running?

Some anti ad-ware adds "fake" entries to the hosts file. That prevents
accessing those sites from a web-browser (and also blocks cookies,
scripts, activexes etc from those sites). But slows down with DND
Client running for some reason (no slowdown without DNS Client).

More reading here:

Also,please see the note under the heading Block Spyware/Ad Networks
on this page,it has an explanation of why the slowdown can sometimes
occur:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

There is also info about disabling dns client service on this
page,with a note about it being intended for home users:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
From: Sebastian G. on
Lars-Erik �sterud wrote:

>>> Anyway, forund out that DNC client is slower than NO DNS client if
>>> there are many entries in the HOSTS file for some reason :-/
>> For some reason? The HOSTS file normally contains only one entry...
>
> Yep, but why does a HUGE hosts file cause a slowdown only when DNS
> Client is running, not without?

Because no one ever considered testing such a case?

> One should think that the hosts file
> needed to be parsed even when the DNC Client is not running?

It gets parsed only once. It's the lookup time that goes up when combining
it with the caching.

> Some anti ad-ware adds "fake" entries to the hosts file. That prevents
> accessing those sites from a web-browser (and also blocks cookies,
> scripts, activexes etc from those sites).

And doesn't prevent it from accessing any site whose hostname just slightly
differs from the listed one. Now, as a badguy, I'd simply let resolve
*.malware.org to the same address and use a randomly generated subdomain.
That's why this approach is so utterly stupid: It simply doesn't work.
From: Lars-Erik �sterud on
Sebastian G. wrote:

> It gets parsed only once. It's the lookup time that goes up when combining
> it with the caching.

But why doesn't the lookup time go up with the DNS client disabled?
The "hosts" files is still searched (entries in it still does work).

I find it strange that lookup is slower WITH the DNS client. Weird.
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605