From: Charles Marcus on
On 2010-03-04 10:48 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
> All the bcc functions are properties of the cleanup daemon, not
> smtpd. It's possible to define a separate cleanup service with
> sender_bcc_maps for submission. See the docs for adding an alternate
> cleanup service.

Excellent - found this (before even reading your reply Noel), and found
a reply from mouss back in 2007:

> with a single instance, edit master.cf to have something like this:
>
> submission ... smtpd
> -o cleanup_service_name=msa-cleanup
>
> msa-cleanup ... cleanup
> -o sender_bcc_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/msa_sender_bcc
>
> and remove all other references to sender_bcc_maps (in main.cf and
> master.cf).

I think this is going to do exactly what I want...

>> 2. What happens if the smtp send transaction fails? Would the message
>> still be bcc'd (hopefully not?)?

> The copy is created when postfix accepts the original message.

That's what I was assuming/hoping, but I've burned myself enough times
simply by not asking the question...

Now the only other question remaining is whether or not it is advisable
to use a regex for the sender_bcc_maps to avoid the necessity of
maintaining an explicit map for all users...

--

Best regards,

Charles

From: Noel Jones on
On 3/4/2010 11:26 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Now the only other question remaining is whether or not it is advisable
> to use a regex for the sender_bcc_maps to avoid the necessity of
> maintaining an explicit map for all users...

Yes. Using a regexp with *_bcc_maps has been discussed in the
past as a way to retain the original sender.
Off the top of my head, maybe something like:
if /@example\.com$/
/^.*@.*$/ archive+$1=$2(a)example.com
endif

Search the archives for more detailed discussions about mail
archiving, and probably better examples.

-- Noel Jones

From: Charles Marcus on
On 2010-03-04 1:19 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 3/4/2010 11:26 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Now the only other question remaining is whether or not it is advisable
>> to use a regex for the sender_bcc_maps to avoid the necessity of
>> maintaining an explicit map for all users...

> Yes. Using a regexp with *_bcc_maps has been discussed in the past as a
> way to retain the original sender.
> Off the top of my head, maybe something like:
> if /@example\.com$/
> /^.*@.*$/ archive+$1=$2(a)example.com
> endif
>
> Search the archives for more detailed discussions about mail archiving,
> and probably better examples.

Awesome... many thanks Noel!

--

Best regards,