From: "Jonathan Tripathy" on
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if there is a solution to this, but maybe one of you folks will know a "workaround".

After thunderbird has sent the email, it then has to save the email to the sent items folders. This can take a long time if there is an attachment and the server is remote.

Apart from only saving the sent items locally, is there any other way to speed things up? I know that is one feature of MS Exchange, that it only has to send the message once.

I'm using Postfix with Dovecot auth and virtual mailboxes with mysql.

Thanks

Jonny
From: Ansgar Wiechers on
On 2010-03-03 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> I'm not sure if there is a solution to this, but maybe one of you
> folks will know a "workaround".
>
> After thunderbird has sent the email, it then has to save the email to
> the sent items folders. This can take a long time if there is an
> attachment and the server is remote.

This is done via IMAP, so it's a Dovecot rather than a Postfix issue.

A workaround might be to configure Thunderbird to not store a copy of
your sent mail and instead have Postfix BCC a copy to yourself. Or you
could simply not send large attachments via e-mail.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Ansgar Wiechers put forth on 3/3/2010 6:37 AM:
> On 2010-03-03 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
>> I'm not sure if there is a solution to this, but maybe one of you
>> folks will know a "workaround".
>>
>> After thunderbird has sent the email, it then has to save the email to
>> the sent items folders. This can take a long time if there is an
>> attachment and the server is remote.
>
> This is done via IMAP, so it's a Dovecot rather than a Postfix issue.
>
> A workaround might be to configure Thunderbird to not store a copy of
> your sent mail and instead have Postfix BCC a copy to yourself. Or you
> could simply not send large attachments via e-mail.

There is zero advantage to your BCC suggestion. The BCC copy is still going
to have to end up on his remote IMAP server.

Just store the sent items in Local Folders/Sent Items. I do this and it
works great. My Dovecot server is local, 100BaseT, and it's still
noticeably faster to store Sent Items locally on the workstation.

--
Stan

From: Ansgar Wiechers on
On 2010-03-03 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Ansgar Wiechers put forth on 3/3/2010 6:37 AM:
>> On 2010-03-03 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if there is a solution to this, but maybe one of you
>>> folks will know a "workaround".
>>>
>>> After thunderbird has sent the email, it then has to save the email
>>> to the sent items folders. This can take a long time if there is an
>>> attachment and the server is remote.
>>
>> This is done via IMAP, so it's a Dovecot rather than a Postfix issue.
>>
>> A workaround might be to configure Thunderbird to not store a copy of
>> your sent mail and instead have Postfix BCC a copy to yourself. Or
>> you could simply not send large attachments via e-mail.
>
> There is zero advantage to your BCC suggestion. The BCC copy is still
> going to have to end up on his remote IMAP server.

I was under the impression that his Postfix and Dovecot are running on
the same (remote) host, and he's using Postfix as a smarthost for his
outbound mail. If that's the case, then there certainly is an advantage,
as his client won't have to transfer the message twice. Otherwise you're
correct, of course.

> Just store the sent items in Local Folders/Sent Items. I do this and
> it works great.

You're giving up the advanteges of IMAP, though.

> My Dovecot server is local, 100BaseT, and it's still noticeably faster
> to store Sent Items locally on the workstation.

Well, duh. Even old PATA/33 drives have almost three times the transfer
rate of 100BaseT.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

From: "Jonathan Tripathy" on
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the tips.

Postfix and Dovecot are indeed on the same box and I do agree with you that it would require one heck of a hack to get this to work.

Since this is software, it is possible, just maybe not with the current implementation of the 2 bits of software. It would be nice if postfix had some sort of setting to allow an external program to take a copy of the email being sent. Then, dovecot (again probably a hacked version) could store the email in the sent items folder.

As for the BCC idea, this could work, but only if postfix was able to prefix the subject with something like "[sent]", or even better add a header, then dovecot can filter to the correct folder. Is this possible?

Apart from my idea above, it looks like storing sent emails locally is the way to go

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: quota with mysql
Next: postfix as "dispatcher"