From: Rotten Apple on

"Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 08/07/2010 16:18, Rotten Apple wrote:
>> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> And in school they are supposed to learn COMPUTING instead of social
>>> networking sites, instant messaging and photograph sharing.
>>> Cretin.
>>
>> What school are you taking about? Grade school? High School?
>> College?
>>
>> What's "COMPUTING?" Computing ballistic tables and/or cracking Nazi
>> code?
>>

> Any school. That's the whole problem - we are producing a generation who
> only know how to point and click.

So when do you recommend we start teaching machine language programming, in
kindergarten, perhaps?

From: chrisv on
Gordon wrote:

> worthless idiot troll wrote:
>>
>> "Gordon" wrote:
>>>
>>> Any school. That's the whole problem - we are producing a generation who
>>> only know how to point and click.
>>
>> So when do you recommend we start teaching machine language programming, in
>> kindergarten, perhaps?

Dumbshit. There's a middle ground between extremes, you know.

>I don't. What does need to happen is to teach PRINCIPLES of
>spreadsheets, word processing, maintaining machines etc rather than
>being vendor-specific which has happened a lot up until recently.
>Fortunately, some schools in UK are actually now doing that rather than
>just teaching Word or Excel.

People should learn how computers work. Bytes, file types, RAM,
hardrives, simple scripting, command lines, etc. Not hard-core detail
(obviously), but so they have at least some idea of what is going-on
"under the hood".

From: Rotten Apple on

> On 08/07/2010 16:42, Rotten Apple wrote:
>> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Any school. That's the whole problem - we are producing a generation who
>>> only know how to point and click.
>>
>> So when do you recommend we start teaching machine language programming,
>> in
>> kindergarten, perhaps?
>>

> I don't. What does need to happen is to teach PRINCIPLES of spreadsheets,
> word processing,

That's already being taught, at leat it is in the USA.

> maintaining machines etc

Sort of like learning to be a mechanic before you get a license to drive?

> rather than being vendor-specific which has happened a lot up until
> recently.

How are you going to teach spread sheets and word processing without being
vendor specific?

> Fortunately, some schools in UK are actually now doing that rather than
> just teaching Word or Excel.

You mean kids graduate school knowing only academic principles and then have
to pay for private instruction in the Word and Excel they need to hold a
job? You consider that a good thing?

From: Rotten Apple on

> On 08/07/2010 16:59, Rotten Apple wrote:

Why did you snip out all the other stuff? Couldn't you think of answers?

>> You mean kids graduate school knowing only academic principles and then
>> have
>> to pay for private instruction in the Word and Excel they need to hold a
>> job? You consider that a good thing?
>>

> Not at all. If you teach spreadsheet and word processing principles, then
> pupils should be able to use ANY spreadsheet or wp app with some sort of
> proficiency.

Then any spreadsheet or word processor should embody the basic principles.
That means they can teach Word and Excel, and satisfy your requirements
while still preparing graduates to hold jobs.

> Look at the rows over the Ribbon in MS Office 2007/10.
> That's all because people have learned MS-specific skills and not GENERAL
> application knowledge.

Every application has it's own interface and command structure. How are
you going to teach anything but academics that have no practical job value?

> I had no problem converting because I have used many different Office
> suites rather than just one...

Most people don't want to learn multiple office suites. The computer is
adjunct to their lives, not the center of it.

From: Rotten Apple on

"chrisv" <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> worthless idiot troll wrote:

>>> So when do you recommend we start teaching machine language programming,
>>> in
>>> kindergarten, perhaps?
>
> Dumbshit. There's a middle ground between extremes, you know.

I was trying to get him to define what level of "computing" he was talking
about.

>>I don't. What does need to happen is to teach PRINCIPLES of
>>spreadsheets, word processing, maintaining machines etc rather than
>>being vendor-specific which has happened a lot up until recently.
>>Fortunately, some schools in UK are actually now doing that rather than
>>just teaching Word or Excel.
>
> People should learn how computers work.

What for?

> Bytes, file types, RAM,
> hardrives, simple scripting, command lines, etc. Not hard-core detail
> (obviously), but so they have at least some idea of what is going-on
> "under the hood".

Millions of people who have no idea what those things are use computers
every day.

Put away your punch cards and join the 21st Century.